Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Blackberries

by Michelle F.

Over the past couple years, it has become the “thing” to have a Blackberry phone. Once people own one, they often become obsessed with it more so than with any other cell phone. Moms have said that they did not want to give into getting a Blackberry because they were afraid that they would not pay as much attention to their kids. Most of the moms gave in, and got the Blackberry. One mom said that she has done exactly what she was trying to avoid. She now feels disconnected with her child and wants to make it up to her daughter, but cannot detach herself from the phone. So as we hear all these stories about people being obsessed with their Blackberry’s, and see people dealing with this addiction, the question is, why is it the “thing” to have a Blackberry and what about the Blackberry causes people to become addicted?

The main reason why people are so obsessed with their Blackberry’s is because they have access to anything . It allows you to text, BBM, make a phone call, browse the Internet, and receive email. The many options that it allows people to have often becomes overwhelming for people and they do not know how to control themselves with just texting or just using it for a phone.

An addiction is something that someone becomes so hooked on that they soon can not stop doing. Addictions are almost always bad and usually harmful. I am not saying that being addicted to a Blackberry is unreasonable and does not make sense. It makes perfect sense. People pay the extra money to be able to have access to all that, and why not use what your paying for? But the issue with this, is that as people use the phone, they cannot stop. I know this because I myself am guilty. I own a Blackberry and I have become an addict. The phone is often referred to as the Crackberry and soon after purchasing mine, I realized that term is accurate. Because there is so much access, you never want to put it down. There is always something you can do on it, even if you really do not have anything useful to do.

Why do people want to have access to everything 24/7? I think the answer to this is that people feel comfortable knowing that they know what is going on around them at all times. They do not have to wait to get home the next day and look at their facebook. Being connected with the world is always good, but I am still left with the question of is having the access which a Blackberry offers overall detrimental towards peoples well being?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this blog because I felt like I could easily relate to the examples given of how Blackberrys are really "Crackberrys." I also liked the topic because I could relate from personal experience. The fact that you defined addiction was very helpful because that could be interoperated as multiple things, and the definition clarified what you meant by saying, "addicted to Blackberrys."I struggled with your last question and its correlation to the rest of the blog. Overall, I enjoyed reading about people's obsessions with their Blackberry technology.

    -Rachel Hartman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing these warnings from a Blackberry user was very effective; as a potential future owner of a Blackberry, I myself have attempted to balance the ideas of connectedness to and freedom from technology. The term "Crackberry" interests me, because it associates the BB with one of the most harmful and addictive drugs on the street; however, I've heard this alternate name used as a playful moniker more often than not, usually bestowed upon the phone by the user. Do most BB users realize they are addicted, and if so, do they ever try to break the cycle?

    john g.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a really good job making your point very clear. I really liked how you defined things like addictions, because I think it helped emphasize your point. I also really liked how much you incorporated your own personal experience because it made this blog relatable and more interesting. It makes me wonder about other forms of technology, and how society has overall become addicted to it, not just blackberries.

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like what you said about always doing something even if its not useful because I think that is the whole spirit of "crackberries." As a crackberry addict I love your insight into the spirit of the blackberry!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine !!
    Its the nice model !!
    Blackberry has pleasant features ..
    I'm using Blackberry the mobile ,
    Recently i unlocked my mobile by using the unlock code specified in this site http://www.unlocking4u.com/
    & got nice solution..
    This site provide unlock code & instruction at cheap cost &
    They are very much good in providing services!!!
    Try out this site to unlock your mobile & gain solution!!!
    Cheers-)

    ReplyDelete