Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Seventeen Again



by Abbie C.

Seventeen magazines are the most highly read magazine by teen girls in the world. Walter Annenberg’s Triangle Publications published the first issue in 1944 and now Hearst owns the magazine. Unlike many teen magazines that undergo serious problems, Seventeen has been flourishing from the beginning. The content of Seventeen has information any teen girl would dream of. Including, fashion, makeup, dating, health and exercise, college and career, and then a specific section for “fun stuff.” This is made up of “Traumarama” a section where teen girls from around the world share their most humiliating moments for readers to view.

Seventeen, despite its name is mostly targeted to teens under seventeen years old. A lot of the information in the magazine is extremely immature for seventeen year olds these days. In every issue of Seventeen’s, readers are allowed to comment on the previous issue. Majority of the reviews published are by girls between the ages of 13- 16 with a few erratic females over the age of seventeen. Many reviews consist of girls explaining their reaction with the previous publication. The majority of the time, the reviews highly praise the magazine for its honesty on important topics. Some of the time, adults become highly involved with the magazine because they are paying for their children to read it. It is shown through extensive research for ongoing years that magazines such as Seventeen play a monumental role in adolescent girls. Many adults believe the messages sent out in Seventeen undermine girls.

Seventeen’s messages are usually very virginal and understandable for a teen magazine but at times people think it goes a bit too far. Some readers see that the central focus is on the body. Not only to be healthy, but as well to make sure it looks “hot.” Many adults are concerned with how prioritized the magazine is on to look good for other people, and that diminishes teens self-image.

I started to read Seventeen magazines at a young age of 8. My parents were very cautious to have me begin reading it, thinking I would “grow up too quickly” reading a teen girls magazine. I discussed with them I was only reading it to see the cute clothes, and the fun horoscopes in the back of the magazine. Secretly, I was incredibly amused by the engaging stories that were a bit too mature for me to read. I began to ask my mom overly sophisticated questions, which she easily connected back to the last issue of Seventeen. We would talk about the latest horrific story in “Real Life.” Growing up the constant discussion about the body in the magazines was overwhelming for me. It began to make me feel like I should look a certain way, which I was far from. I began to realize how ridiculous the magazine was really quickly. The clothes quickly went from cute to trashy, the makeup beautiful to cheap, the advice interesting to unreliable. The magazine no longer fascinated me like it did before. Now, when a Seventeen ends up in my reach, I flip through it laughing at the ludicrous advice and clothing. It’s extremely amusing now, and probably will be forever.


www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/1580


7 comments:

  1. Well written and personal. You really made your own opinion and experience with the magazine show through. The part that was the most engaging for me was when you talked about first trying to fit into the magazines image boxes and then the transformation to knowing what was normal and what was just ridiculous.
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  2. opps forgot the questions...
    Do you think that the information while being silly and slightly immature for our age is still truthful and sending good information to girls who are younger?
    eliza

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABBIE YOUR SUCH AN AMAZING WRITER ZOMG
    ^.^ (-_-) (*_*) ($_$) <-- money moneyeeee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost every women I know in her twenties reads Cosmopolitan. However, they all seem to do it with an eye-roll and giggle. This is a light, frothy exaggeration or parody of the issues of being an american women. Nobody suggests it reflects the complete experience, and I think it is appealing partly because it is so reductive. In some way it would be nice if our biggest problems were glowy skin and pretty hair. Nobody complains when adults buy cosmo, because it is understood that the readers are in on the joke. (Note: I am not a women, and have limited experience with the magazine, so this is just a hypothesis.)

    Now, this becomes much more complicated when younger people are buying the magazine...What if young people understand the issues in seventeen as central, rather than a trashy diversion as I sense people read cosmo? What responsibility does the magazine have to represent many different womens'experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really interesting for me to read because I had completely the same experience with reading Seventeen. Reading it when I was younger their advice seemed so cool and made really look forward to being a teenager. Now that I'm sixteen I read their advice and laugh, it is so unrealistic. You articulated very well the feelings I have about the magazine, and I'm sure the feelings many actual teenagers have about the magazine. My question would be, do you think the magazine should change? It really does seem to impact girls negatively, but unfortunately that is what sells. I agree with what you said about it being "look centered" because it is so caught up with the media. I worry that now the average age of the reader will just keep getting younger and younger...what do you think? Great work!

    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this article. I wasn't confused at any point during it. Although I have never read Seventeen, I feel the same way you feel about it now. I think it is very body oriented and the name Seventeen is to attract girls who want to appear older than they are and the magazine teaches them how to do that. My question is how did you see through Seventeen when other people are hooked to it like it was a drug? Do you read Cosmopolitan?
    -Sterling

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked how personal this article was. Because you put your personal experience into the article i felt that it help me the reader relate to you as the author. And gave me a greater understanding of why you chose this piece. The article itself also could relate the magazine to what is probably happening to many girls all across the country. Do feel as if the magazine is giving young girls the wrong impression of what a 'real' teen aged girl would look like?

    ReplyDelete