Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Harry Potter

By Molly S.

Harry Potter is:

a) a book

b) a movie

c) a global phenomenon

d) all of the above

The correct answer is d, but in order to find this question to be even slightly difficult you would have to have been be living under a very large rock for the past 12 years. Harry Potter hysteria has taken over the world since the release of the first book of the series, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, in 1997. The only thing comparable to the number of people that have read the series is the intensity in which people love it. I happen to be a self-proclaimed Harry Potter Fanatic. I’ve read all the books at least 3 times each in under 24 hours, I’ve seen all the movies at least 3 times (in theatres, plus millions more on dvd), I’ve gone to the midnight releases of many books and movies, and I love to talk about Harry Potter. But that doesn’t really explain it.

Harry Potter is awesome. The books are better than the movies, Hermione is totally the coolest character in the series, any excuse to dress up like a Hogwarts student must be taken advantage of, Gryffindor is where all the cool kids are, Harry/Ron are way hotter than Malfoy, Twilight will never measure up to Harry Potter, Emma Watson is gorgeous, crying when Dumbledore died was definitely ok, staying home on a Saturday to watch Harry Potter Weekend on Abc Family is 100% socially acceptable, and all books must be read multiple times to really enter the wizarding world. But those are just the basics.

The summer after second grade I received my first Harry Potter book. After turning the first page and reading about Harry being placed on his aunt and uncle’s door step by Hagrid via flying motorcycle I was convinced my letter from Hogwarts was already in the mail. I spent the following years of my elementary school career reading the rest of the series, and when I ran out of books I soon had movies to fill their void, increasing the intensity of my obsession. I distinctly remember hearing that they were making movies of the series, and my nine year old self was convinced that I deserved the part of Hermione Granger. I remember telling my siblings that I was cute and “smart” so I would be the perfect person to play Hermione. Needless to say I did not play Hermione Granger in the movies, but when Emma Watson, Rupert Grint and Daniel Radcliffe sprang onto the scene to play the dynamic trio, I suddenly had three new best friends. Each summer I waited anxiously on my door step for the newest installment to arrive, and when it did I religiously locked myself in my room and read until I had once again taken in every possible detail of the Harry Potter world. Yes, I was hooked. The funny thing is, JK Rowling has this thing she does: every book is better than the last. Thus, the movies get better and better, and thus my obsession grows every time something new about Harry and his friends is released. Because of this, even my currently 17 year-old self squeals at the mere mention of a Harry Potter character.

Harry Potter comes up a lot in my daily life. I usually find a way to tie it into conversation, or something someone is wearing. I even have a group of friends that like Harry Potter. Actually it’s called our “wizard clan.” Ah yes, one small downfall to the Harry Potter obsession: mandatory acceptance of nerd status. You can’t like Harry Potter as much as I do and be cool. But in this world where Harry has taken over the world with books, movies, songs, clothing, and soon amusement parks, geek chic, or “wizard chic” is cool. So somehow while being my nerdy, book-loving, wannabe-wizard self, I have once again fallen into the norm. But what happens to that small population of muggles unwilling to dive head first into the magical world? I believe that one by one they will be picked out with their own personal Hogwarts letter: a movie ticket, a book, or a loving friend, signed with love by the wizarding god herself: JK Rowling.


Sources:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/features/harrypotter/proandcon.htm

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/harrypotter.html

http://atheism.about.com/od/harrypotter/i/immorality.htm

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/J/5/P/harrypotter5pic30.jpg

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2009/07/academy_670.jpg


6 comments:

  1. Wyatt Colby:

    Wow. You really, really like Harry Potter. Although I think that Bekah B.P. might just top you on this one with "Wizard Rock." Anyways, I think that you do a great job of conveying your enthusiasm for Harry Potter by describing what it means to be a fan. Referring to JKR as a "wizarding god" definitely seals the deal, as do a lot of other terms in your blog. In the last paragraph you do a great job of describing it as a pop culture phenomenon, and I think that your use of pictures really helps to transport the reader. I'm not confused at all. What do you think of people who aren't Harry Potter fans? What's your favorite book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog to be a mirror as well as a window for myself. It is uncanny how people have such simmilar reactions to HP. I wish you dove into what it is about us HP fans that make us love the books so much. You have some great anectdotes in here about you relationship with Harry Potter. I really like the one about the letter for Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, you have finally made me understand why people are so obsessed with the book series. Describing your present day obsession to the books and your mind set as a little kid hit the nail on the head. You let HP outsiders into that magical world while connecting them to that feeling that every kid gets about some book, tv show, or movie and the characters in them. So what did you think about the latest movie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any time there is a cultural phenomenon that sweeps a nation (or in this case, a globe), there must be some need that this story is filling. So I ask myself (and my fellow bloggers), "What is the need here?" In an age of global warming, terror alerts, bank and car company failures, don't we all need some magic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly, you definitely didn't write this, your inner child did. Your blog is silly, funny, and all together you as a writer are completely likeable. "The books are better than the movies...wizarding world." I found myself throughout this sentence going "yes...YES! YES EXACTLY!" so this blog definitely applies to your fellow Harry Potter fanatics. Your ending especially was SO strong. Your voice came through a ton, and we saw that although you acknowledged the fact that Harry Potter is kind of a kids book, you actually ARE a teenage girl, and it STILL applies to not just you but also your friends. THANK YOU for identifying Wizard Chic, it's incredibly over looked in our modern day ideas of cliques. Definitely should have been a "Cool kids who like Harry Potter way to much" table in mean girls.
    Maybe you could step back a little in the end. You started to by talking about your friends, but I feel you could elaborate on this. Show us the big picture! Maybe conduct some random HP Interviews? it'd be an excuse to talk about it more!!

    ReplyDelete