Sunday, October 3, 2010

Critics never got nothing nice to say- Eminem

Eminem
By: Lauren K


Contrary to Eminem's beliefs there are lots of people that have nice things to say. Marshall Mathers is one of the most popular rappers of all time right up there with P Diddy (Sean Combs). To be compared to him would be an honor. He had 6 very successful albums out and then poof he was gone. Where had he gone? What happened to the legendary rapper? We hear nothing from him for 4 years and then there was the release of RELAPSE. He was back, or was he? RELAPSE was respectable but not up to par with his past work. Everyone seemed to wonder if this was it, were we never going to see the normal Eminem again? Except then the music world held its breath waiting for the release of his album RELAPSE 2. Last minuet he Twitted "there is no RELAPSE 2". Wait what?! There is no album? Wrong, he deiced last second to change the name to RECOVERY, the music was to different, he said, it needed its own name. This album was either going to confirm everyone’s worries or would crush the music charts. Its Eminem what do you thing? Of cores it was fantastic!! RECOVERY was exactly that, a recovery, it saved his career. RECOVERY sold more than 741,000 copies in the first week (I pre-ordered the album). It was released on July15, 2010 and by August 1st it had sold 1.828 million copies. “Not Afraid” was released as a single in April and was number 1 on Billboard Hot 100. “Love the Way You Lie” followed closely behind and replaced “Not Afraid” as number 1 for the 3 weeks following.

Clearly the world loves Eminem, well what makes him so loveable? Personally I think it’s the fact that he raps about real shit. I mean most rappers rap about blowjobs, but Eminem talks about his real experiences, his mom and daughter, Hailie, and his drug problem. He talks about how he is discriminated against for being white and how his mother was never there in a lot of songs like “Cleanin’ Out My Closet” and “My Mom”. Then he has songs about his daughter and some even written for her like "When I'm Gone". One of his most famous songs is “Lose Yourself”, this song is about his life and making his passion a career.

I also think its because he’s clever. He spits rhymes so quickly and easily that you have to listen to a song a couple times before you can catch them all. All you have to do is listen to one song and you find numerous clever rhymes and catchy beats, some of my favorites from RECOVERY are “You’re Never Over” and “Cinderella Man”.

In general Eminem has made an impression on the music industry and he is not going anywhere. When he’s gone he will not be forgotten. He is a passionate lyricist who changed everyone’s view on what the typical rapper should be.

9 comments:

  1. I think this is a really interesting post because it talks a lot about thing that we have been talking about in terms of pop culture but definetly puts your own spin on things. I can tell that you like Emninem, because you talk about his good qualities: his meaningful, relateable lyrics and the way he's impacted the music industry and pop culture today. However, you manage not to lend your fondness for him blind you, because you explain in a clear summary his rise and sudden fall from power, followed by a luke warm album, finally followed by a chart topping album. -Mary T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALSO: I really like the way you used the hyperlinks in a variety of ways. I found it extremely helpful because I don't know that much about Eminem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What really interested me was the beginning of your piece. It's a little confusing to me but I think you're trying to talk about Eminem's return to the music scene? Is Relapse and Recovery the same album just with the name changed? I like how you used the hyperlinks to the different songs, that was a unique way to connect your sources to the piece. You don't hold back your opinions, and I think that's great. I would like to hear some other people's opinions on Eminem to see what our classmates think. Good Job! - Marin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Marin, in that I was a little confused at the beginning of your piece, but by the end I think your point comes across very clear, and you clearly state that Eminem has many supporters, and with the release of his new album, he will continue to be a music legend. You use statistics well, which helps make you a more reliable blogger. I think your argument could have been stronger if you showed specific sources of people who don't have nice things to say about Eminem, so we could have seen reasons why people didn't like him. Great Job, I enjoyed reading your opinion! -Mary R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your topic because I enjoy listening to Eminem's music as well. I was very interested by title because most of the people I know love Eminem. Where did you get the information about his negative feedback or why does he feel this way? I might also be interested in hearing about specific stories that were behind some of his songs. All together, this was a really interesting piece and I liked your personal touch by adding some of your favorite songs!
    -Lara Lieberman

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is difficult for me to find a common interest with you because I personally do not like rap. After saying that, I will say that if there's one rapper I will listen to, it's Eminem. Why? You ask? Well it's for the same reasons you stated in your blog. Eminem raps about real shit. The reason I don't like rap is because it seems all rappers rap about is sex and money. Eminem definitely wins my appreciation because he talks about his past, reaaaaaal shiiiiiit. I like what you've done here, thank you.
    -Leo

    ReplyDelete
  7. when eminem formally entered the scene with "my name is," i was in seventh grade. that was more than ten years ago, and eminem is still a household name, but maybe for very different reasons. he was such a huge hit in the music industry then for a couple reasons: he was controversial, and he was saying what no one else would. in his singles, he attacked the world of celebrities around him mercilessly; in his b-sides, he described tying up his wife and mother to avenge the wrongdoing that he'd been dealt. this mixture of commentary with what a lot of people assumed was a glorification of violence gave him a lot of press. i like what you've written here because it shows how his appeal has changed since then. the shocking part of his act got old after a couple years, and he's had to focus on actually being able to craft a more impressive flow of words. this is a great update on one of the smartest men in show biz, thanks lauren!

    -john

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked reading this because I don’t know a lot about eminem’s history but I like his music so it was really interesting. I also thought it was a bit confusing at times but it might be because again I don’t know a lot about rap. I like how one of the things you commented on was his lyrics and how you like how real they are. What is eminems reputation like now? I know that his last album was a hit I am wondering if people think he will keep going like this or if his career is likely to go down hill. Great job!
    -Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Eminem but I've gotta say, "Most rappers rap about blowjobs". You should really listen to more hip-hop such as Tupac, Nas, Biggie, Jay-Z, Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan, Big L, Big Pun, Kool G Rap, Immortal Technique, Gift of Gab, Jadakiss, Andre3000, MF Doom, AZ, and shit like that. Hoping for his new album, just listen to more music than radio garbage about bitches and hoes.

    ReplyDelete