Monday, October 4, 2010

Friends - Deema

Every weekend, I tell myself one more episode, and then I will start my homework. Yet, one more episode turns into five more episodes, and Sunday afternoon turns into Sunday night. This is the addictive nature of the hit comedy called Friends. Yes, I have already seen every episode of Friends, and yes, every weekend, I continue to watch and rewatch the episodes. Maybe it’s the comical relief brought by Chandler’s witty jokes, Phoebe’s quirkiness, or Joey’s shocking immaturity, or maybe, it is Monica’s obsessive qualities, Ross’s geekiness, or Rachel’s self-absorbed behavior. However, together the six of them fall into hilarious situations in all aspects of their life – relationships, work, and other miscellaneous situations. Through the seasons, I began to watch them grow up as people, to the point where I feel as if I know them. I have heard people say, myself included, things like, “Oh, that’s such a Rachel thing to do”, or “I can’t believe Joey got that turkey stuck on his head.” Those who watch the show regularly speak about these six characters as if they had cultivated personal relationships with them. However, it’s not only that, I sympathize with Chandler when Janice randomly pops back into his life; I laugh at Ross when all of the characters make fun of his multiple failed marriages, and I get excited with Rachel when she finds out that she is going to have a baby. Not only that, during the 90’s, Friends was so popular that people were constantly asking for the “Rachel” haircut.
Friends is an attractive show to all because of the blatant but still funny humor. For me, there are some shows that people find funny, but since I can’t seem to understand the jokes, I just nod along and pretend to enjoy it. There are other shows, like slapstick comedies, that are obnoxiously funny that after a while they stop being funny and become boring. Yet Friends mixes up the jokes in a way that every episode is funny. I always find myself looking for a funny episode but then remembering, it doesn’t matter because every episode is funny. However, what is it that makes a friends episode funny? I looked up the top ten funny episodes online, and almost every list had “The One Where Everybody Finds Out.” If you look at the description of that episode, it combines all the kinds of funny. The basis of this episode is Chandler and Monica’s secret relationship, combined with Ross needing to find a new apartment. Therefore, you have one random situation and one relationship. When Phoebe finds out about Monica and Chandler’s secret relationship, each of the characters handles the situation in a way that fully embodies their personalities. Monica’s competitive edge shines through, as do Phoebe’s weird quirks. Meanwhile, Ross is desperately trying to get this apartment and resorts to all ends to do it. Finally, work issues get worked into the episode as well because Ross has been fired for his job for his intense rage and is trying to show his boss that he is back on his feet when he sees Monica and Chandler through the window and freaks out in a typical Ross manner. This episode meshes together all of the qualities that makes Friends a funny show. Everyone can relate to work problems, relationship problems and those random problems that just rattle your day. Friends attracts so many people because it is about everyday issues that people face everyday.

6 comments:

  1. I loved how passionate you are about Friends because it really shows in your blog. I wonder what makes a show so good that you can re-watch it so often? I haven't seen many episodes of Friends but readin this makes me want to watch it. I agree that part of the reason it is so good is that you fell like yo know the characters. In a TV show it is important to have a relationship with the characters.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked friends, but in the way that I just watched in whenever it happened to be on. It is interesting how you explore what about the show makes people like it so much. I have always enjoyed it, but I never wondered why I did. I wonder if this is true for other shows? It makes me think about how similar people can be, having the same likes and dislikes.

    -Adela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really see that you LOVE friends. Yes, I think there is some traits of friends that intrigues tons of people for such a long time. I also think 'Friends' are not only a comedy sitcom, but a culture; and you pointed out the charms of it well. Now I'm curious why and how you start watching the show, and if there was any parts that you don't like about the show ever. Nice job! -Caelyn K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've identified one of the essential questions about TV shows, TV viewership, and what makes certain shows (like Friends in our generation) WILDLY popular: HUMOR. WHAT MAKES SOMETHING FUNNY - AND TO SO MANY PEOPLE? And I'm really fascinated by your exploration of that one particular episode - you break it down in a way that allows me to really reflect on the layers beneath your question of humor in comedy.

    Relatability seems to be such a big part of it, as you say, but there seems to be more to it too, given what you've laid out. I'm really curious to know what other things make Friends so funny, not only to you, but to a wide majority of people (and what are the major demographics of people who watch it, do you know?) There is something about the predictability of the characters in the episode you explore, doing what you "expect" them to do, while still managing to be outrageous enough to get a laugh out of you. And not just you - millions and millions of others. What FRIENDS is to lots of folks from our generation (although, I even think that you are straddling the FRIENDS generation, as that was a show of the 90s, and that times are a-changing) is what "I Love Lucy" was in the 50s, "The Brady Bunch" was in the 70s, "The Cosby Show" in the 80s - what does FRIENDS's rampant popularity in the 90s (and 00s) say about us? About you? I'm really curious to know what you think.

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have yet to see Friends...kinda sad. Reading people's blog entries about Friends really makes me want to watch it because it sounds like something I'd enjoy. I like how you explain how much it encompasses your everyday life (in a way) and incorporate it into your being (if that makes sense). I also wondered if there's one thing about the show that makes it so successful to everyone. Either way, wanna lend me the DVDs?

    -Christian

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great show. I watch Friends Online, The show was produced and filmed in L.A. because all of the actors, producers and (set) is there. I was a little annoyed when I found that out, but it was always a great group of people to watch for eI myself lived in NY veryone.

    ReplyDelete