Sunday, October 3, 2010

Farmviller

There are fun and addicting games online in the world today that are nearly impossible to avoid if you are a gamer, such as myself. Gaming web sites like Mini Clip, Addicting Games, Armor Games, etc. can be found in the history of any true gamer’s web browser. Even social networking sites like Facebook have picked up on the crave for online gaming and offer games of their own. These are popular games such as Happy Aquarium, Mafia Wars, and my favorite, Farmville.

Farmville is quickly becoming the most used online game in the world. On February 13th, 2010, there were approximately 78,000,000 monthly active users. In one month’s time Farmville had approximately 83,000,000 monthly active users. In one month, Farmville gained approximately 5,000,000 users. Why are so many people playing Farmville? What is it about this game on Facebook that is so amazing? Well, Farmville is great for three reasons: it makes every day life easier, it relieves stress, and it allows you to express yourself.

Farmville makes your life so much easier. Why would you want a plantation in real life when you could have one in your bedroom and maintain it with nothing more than the movement of your thumb and index finger? You don’t need to worry about hurting yourself with real machinery when you can use plows, seeders, and harvesters on Farmville. Farmville provides you with 100% enjoyment without even getting out of the chair you’re sitting in. Also, maybe you’ll decide to buy some Farm Cash with the money you save on not buying sunscreen.

Farmville will help you relieve stress. My grand mother has a Facebook, my grand mother has a Farmville, and my grand mother is a level 40 farmer! She shared with me that she needs Farmville. She told me that when she goes to bed at night, it makes everything that’s wrong in the world for her, right. After a long stressful day at work, it feels amazing to go on Farmville. Visit the cows and sheep, pet the horses and feed the chickens. Leave all your worries behind with the ducks as they relax in their little pond.

Lastly, with Farmville you can truly express yourself. One could argue that because there is no killing in Farmville, because there are no fast cars, and because it is not fast paced that is not a great game. Those people are forgetting all the other possibilities Farmville has to offer. Farmers have 32 or more different crops to choose from, 17 or more different trees, and 12 or more different animals. Now I say “or more” because every holiday, season, or any other national event of any kind there are specials which include limited edition crops, limited edition trees, and limited edition animals as well as those already available. There is a huge selection of houses ranging from a rest tent to a villa. There are buildings for your animals to live in like dairy farms, chicken coops, and horse stables. There is also a great selection of barns to choose from in which you can store things away from your farm. With hundreds of decorations available you can make your farm look like none other. I know people who have farms that are meant to make profit with the maximum number of plots possible. There are also those who decorate their farms solely to look great. What ever you want your farm to be, you can make it possible because Farmville makes it possible.

Are you tired of your Facebook friends nagging you about Farmville and all you want to do is unfriend them, block them, and block Farmville from your Facebook all together? You know the old, “Howdy friend! Leo Schuchert wants to be your neighbor on Farmville!” All you want to do is write on Leo’s wall how much you hate him and how much you hate Farmville. But give in! Trust your friends to know what they’re talking about. They people of the world trusted Paul when he spread the word of Christianity! Give in to the spreaders of Farmville! You know it’s right. Although some see it as a waste of time, I see Farmville as the key to heaven. It’s just a shame not everyone’s found it yet.


Leo

9 comments:

  1. I really like this post. Because I am a Farmville hater, I feel that it comes across as a satircal, sarcastic piece. I wonder if that was the inetention or if you even like Farmville at all. Regardless, it made me laugh to find out that your grandmother feels that she NEEDS Farmville. I liked how you incorporated humor and logic into a very structured piece. Go Leo! -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post was great! i thought it was interesting how you referenced your grandmother and her love for the game. you kept me interested and made me think of taking up fishville again! it also is something you clearly love and that also makes it more fun to read! good job!
    -Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leo, I never knew you were such a gamer! I like the way you incorporated statistics personal stories and experiences, and humor to create a very enjoyable read. Your very descriptive details Farmville were helpful to me, because I have never played myself, yet I was able to create of picture of it in my mind. Very good job!! -Mary R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo, I thought that it was very smart of you to approach this topic with humor because if you hadn't, i'm not sure if people would have taken it seriously. It also gave me more of an idea of what you were trying to express when you included your own personal antics. I have also played this game but it's interesting because I've never really decided why I did.
    Very thoughtful!
    -Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahah Leo this is great! I love how witty you are! However I have to disagree. I really dont like farmvill. I find it is a wast of time and I have watched many people lose their social life to it. Also, a "plantation" what?! Why would anyone ever want a plantation. I believe that is with slaves. Lets talk about that? Is that what farmvill is really about, salves?
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. leo! as a fellow time-to-time gamer, i was immediately and irrevocably sucked in by this post. i'm still undecided as to whether or not this is a satirical piece, or just a humorously exaggerated one. i like how you're able to straddle that line and keep readers on their toes. what do you think are the larger consequences of farmville on the world of pop culture and internet gaming? you give a lot of good reasons as to why one might play the game, but what about the implications of the game? keep up the great work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the humor in the third paragraph where you talk about why have a real farm when you can have a beautiful orchard at your fingertips. I know how addicting the world of online games are. They suck you in, and I think you talk about that very well. You seem in a way to acknowledge its stupidity, but as the same time you still seem very intrigued by the different types of animals and plants you can use to complete a farm of your dreams. I would love to hear other peoples opinions about Farmville and becoming addicted to it and other varieties of online games

    ReplyDelete