Sunday, October 3, 2010

MANHATTANS ELITE

by Miles Brenninkmeijer

Money. High Fashion. Hot Girls. Hot Guys. New York City. Drama. Gossip. It’s bound to be pop-culture. Which is why this hit series, Gossip Girl, is what people cannot get out of their heads. Whenever I’m not watching it, I ask myself, what is it that is so addicting? But as I sit on my couch, with my phone in my hands texting my friends to see if they’re wasting an hour just like me that could be put towards reading that section from our history book that the whole class has been dreading, I seem to find my answer. It’s unhealthy relationship that I am well aware of. What doesn’t help my unmanly obsession with the show is that my mother is a fan herself. So as I am up in my room, trying to complete that horrid history reading, my mother calls me to join her on the couch, I can’t make her sit alone, that’s just rude. She herself is addicted to it. It’s taking over all generations, young and old. My mother finds herself on the couch every Monday night due to the relationships that she built with the characters. Chuck Bass, your stereotypical rich douche bag. Daniel Humphrey, the sweet and intellectual NYU undergrad. Nate Archibald, everyone’s favorite, even my mothers. Serena van der Woodsen, the pretty tall blonde one who everyone wants to be. Blair Waldorf, the sophisticated, wealthy, perfect girl. Jenny Humphrey, younger sister of Dan Humphrey, the rebellious Brooklynite. And last but not least, Vanessa Abrams the modern day hipster bohemian long family friend to the Humphreys. What is so appealing to the avid followers of this “so horrible yet so good its bad to admit” too television series is that everyone who watches it can see themselves or can relate to a specific character in the show. But isn’t that what all televisions show are about? But why does this show specifically get their spectators hooked? The situations they experience are so abnormal that it makes the high school drama going on in your real life sound normal. It’s an escape from the real life. But that’s what all television shows are nowadays. Everyone loves good music, great clothes, money, beautiful people and New York City all in one, and Gossip Girl has combined all of those oh so well into one beautiful, over the top, OMG moment, jaw dropping, and simple yet complicated, addicting show.

Which character are you? Find out.

XOXO.


8 comments:

  1. Spotted: M blogging about some Upper East Siders. Did he really think he could do my job, or even do it up to par? Looks like someone needs to back home to El Lay. In other words, GTFO.
    You know you love me...

    XOXO,
    Gossip Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. GG,
    Pee. El. here.
    If the show is all the same like the other shows trying to get people to relate, what exactly is so special about this show? I find it hard to believe that these early to mid 20 year-olds are playing teen characters but it works... right? Sex during the high school life, going off to Paris for summer break, wear all the expensive clothes everyday, not to mention those high ass beautiful heels they sport on every episode. I am wondering does all of America want to be one of them? To have those drama in their life, or the fact that they are happy enough that those situation isn't happening to them?
    And of course, everyone can't and is not any of the character in the show but one can dream, and my dream is not exactly be Nate.... catch my drift?
    Pee. El.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never watched the show, but i see what you mean about people becoming addicted to it. it's almost like with twilight how every girl wants her edward cullen, everybody wants to be in the position as each character on gossip girl. my question is does each character have enough versatility for people of all different cultures and walks of life to relate to them?

    -phelix

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gossip girl seems to be such a hit even though I have never watched it myself. It seems like people really get hooked onto shows about money in drama. What does this say about society? Can people just be happy with their income, or does this show societies desire to become rich than richer. Or is the reason people like this show because it is so different from everyday life?
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, but I cannot relate. I watched an episode and a half on the boys floor, and it did not appeal to me. So I have no idea why everyone else loves it. I think it is a show that glamorizes a wasteful and self-centered lifestyle, which is in turn created wasteful and self-centered lifestyles all over the United States, much like most television. (Not all, most)

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen like six episodes. Gossip Girl is kind of addictive. I think it's because you want to be all of them and because you want to know what's going to happen next. But to be honest I feel like it's kind of stupid...the dialogue is so unrealistic. No one talks like that! My question: do people consider the show good TV or do they just watch because they like it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen Gossip Girl, I know shocker! But I can tell that it's even filled with drama. Even the tone of your writing as you tell us about it is dramatic, I thinks it the periods. You stop us short like little cliff hangers before you let us get on to your fascination :)

    What is that you guys say? XOXO? yeahhhhh

    ReplyDelete