Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Meaning of YouTube



The Meaning of YouTube by Adela

For me, Youtube used to be a place where I would watch cute videos of kittens or hilarious shorts of babies. A friend would come to me with a video that I “just had to see”, for example, Charlie the Unicorn, and we would watch it, laugh, and then continue on with the rest of our lives, maybe quoting it once in a while to get a few laughs.
For many people, this is what Youtube still is; a place to watch stupid videos. I mean how much substance can a Youtube video have if it is only limited to 15 minutes?

The answer is, a lot.

Over the past couple of years, the way that I use Youtube has changed. I have discovered videos that not only have meaning, but that also can create change.
When I subscribe to a youtube channel, I become part of a community. I not only get to watch all of the videos that that youtuber has put up, but I am also joined together with millions of other people.

When a youtuber has a lot of subscribes to their channel, they will often gather all of those people, and take action. Most of the time it is something small, like answering a question of the day or taking a poll, but in some instances, the action goes further. For example, Hank and John Green of the vlogbrothers raised enough money through their subscribers to send five cargo planes full of healthcare supplies to Haiti. They have also created the “Project for Awesome” in which Youtubers create videos promoting their favorite charity. Charlie McDonnel, of charlieissocoollike, created an idea called Chart Jackers. With chart jackers, youtubers came together and created a song that they got to be #1 on the UK charts. All the procedes from that song went the charity Children in Need. Youtube has also been used to launch many people careers, such as Justin Bieber.

YouTube connects so many different kinds of people, and with that connection, it becomes so much more than just a website where you can watch squirrels ride on water skis. With the youtubers I choose to watch now, my experience no longer stops once the video is over. The videos can make me ponder my life and my surroundings; push me to think about my implications and views. Sometimes I will watch a video and my whole world will be tuned upside down. An idea will be explored or a question will be posed that I have never thought of before. I just recently watched a video by John Green that talks about how pennies are totally useless and how it costs 1.7 cents to make a penny. I never knew how much money pennies were actually draining and this video made me think further about our economy.

I am not saying that it is bad to watch those funny videos on youtube, I just want everyone to know that there is more out there.

So, I challenge you. Go onto youtube and find a video that makes you think. About yourself, your community, it doesn’t matter, just as long as it has some sort of impact. If you don’t know where to start, you can try a couple of my favorite channels:
Sxephil, charlieissocoollike, vlogbrothers, MysteryGuitarMan, wheezywaiter

8 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. I have a Youtube account too. It's hard to find someone that really understands Youtube and how it's more than just a website for videos like "Charlie Bit Me".

    -Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really only use Youtube for music videos or videos that people tell me I have to watch. This gives me a new view on Youtube because I always associate Youtube with music videos or funny videos. I hope I can find a new way to use Youtube. I like that you included links for us to watch.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool. I haven't thought of youtube like that before. It's nice to see how influential it really can be. You have very specific examples which is nice.

    Deema

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is awesome, you just helped me get into the DKDK about YouTube and all its possibilities. You "zoomed out" and went macro / big picture in a way that helped me to see how the Internet and YouTube can really create communities (a process called communalization) which is something that I think often has the potential to get short-changed with the Internet, but it was really fascinating for me to read about vlogbrothers and watch all of the videos that you posted (shamelessly addictive) to think through the possibilities, and to strive toward the challenge you posed - to allow the watching and "reading" of YouTube videos allow me to uncover new ideas, consider new implications, and arrive a new questions. I also really love how, by ending with a "challenge," you are challenging us to do what YouTube does for you - to allow the video to 'live longer' and to 'do something' with what we see/learn.

    To that end, I have a number of questions. Even though I am totally sold by your solid arguments (that don't feel manipulative in any way, they are very well-articulated and clearly thought-out), I am curious to think through ALL of the implications (positive, negative, anything else) of rapid communalization that happens online only. Do YouTube communities ever have the opportunity to get together? What would happen if they did? How might a YouTube community gathering be similar or different from, say, a family gathering, or a CITYterm reunion?

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adela, I like how you portray YouTube as a positive part of our society. For many avid YouTub-ers, they use this site as an outlet to express themselves and connect with others. In some ways, YouTube is part of our society.
    Now, I will definitely go and find a video that makes me think
    -Blair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adela, your article reminds me of the discussion we had about a new form of community during the class. Youtube channel is definitely one other form of a new community. I'm also amazed by the positive effect of Youtube, since I was expecting to see negative sides. I don't know why. Maybe because I watch some Korean shows on Youtube, illegally. Haha. - Caelyn K

    ReplyDelete
  7. youtube=awesome the best new is there and funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-sOziv6ScQ

    What do you think the implications of such a wide range of videos on youtube is? Do you think this will all be a fad or not because it appeals to such a wide audience? (also I loved this whole thing--it was very engaging!)

    -abby

    ReplyDelete