Sunday, October 3, 2010

Our Fascination with Celebrity Couples: Heidi & Spencer vs. Beyoncé & Jay-Z




Our Fascination with Celebrity Couples:
Heidi & Spencer vs. Beyoncé & Jay-Z

We are creatures of curiosity, it is undeniable. Us humans like to know everything, and it is for that reason we pursue (for the most part) all the knowledge that pertains to our curiosity, whether it be about specific scientific studies, the newest Marc Jacobs line, or our favorite band’s tour schedule. What I am curious about, is why so many Americans, and non-Americans alike are so intrigued with celebrity couples? Where does our stem for inquiry about celebrity couples come from? Why are we more attracted to some couples more than others? What meaning do these couples retain for us?

To begin to try and understand this fascination and curiosity, I would like to start by addressing and if possible summarizing the controversial celebrity couple:
Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt. Both Heidi and Spencer were reality stars of the MTV show, the Hills. They were co-stars for years, and had a fairly off and on relationship that was filled with desire, drama, and disappointment. Heidi and Spencers relationship was documented fairly intensely while the show was being filmed, and since then, they have stayed in the public’s eye. However, I would go as far as to say that the reason for their fame, is shy of talent, and revolves around constant drama. Although both Heidi and Spencer have tried to branch off from the title of reality star and make a name for themselves in other fields, these attempts have never proved very successful. Heidi tried in 2007 to make a name for herself in the music field, with help of hubby Spencer. Reactions to her music were varied, however most agreed with the youtube user below,

“What is this?!.. She has got to be kidding me if she thinks she is going to be a singer now. She isn't even an actor!! She is on some stupid "reality" show and she assumes she can take on the world now. Practically everyone and their grandmother these days have been on MTV”
-Jacquelinexrae

Heidi and Spencer’s drama doesn’t stop here. The copious headlines that include them mentions their on-again-off-again relationship (“fake” fillings for divorce?) mentions of them in relation to other co-stars (both from the Hills, and
I’m a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!) and mentions of Heidi’s (addiction?) to plastic surgery. It was in-fact this obsession with plastic surgery that got the couple the headlines they were hoping for, it gave them multiple magazine stories, television interviews, and even other kinds of exposure like a skit on www.funnyordie.com. However, no matter what they do, this couple always seems to fall off the grid, sure, the public loves to hear about the wild, and dramatic things they are doing this week, but does the public actually love them? I don't think so.

Now, I am going to warn everyone that this is about to get very opinionated, and personal. In addition to looking at Heidi and Spencer, I want to try and figure out the public’s fascination by discussing another one of Hollywoods most talked about couples, Beyoncé and Jay-Z. Jay-Z also known as Shawn Corey Carter, is a Brooklyn native and one of America’s most influential rappers of his time. In addition to his music career, Jay-Z has also established himself as an entrepreneur and has business holdings such as record companies, clothing lines, and co-ownership in sport bars and teams. His wife Beyoncé has just as much going for her. Beyoncé Knowles, (my personal idol) is a world recognized, Houston born Pop/R&B singer, songwriter, actress, fashion designer, and the definition of the word diva. Her career has taken her from Destiny’s Child, to single albums (Dangerously in Love, B’Day, I am... Sasha Fierce), to Grammy awards, to fashion lines, to numerous acting opportunities and to incredible opportunities like singing for the Obamas.

By now, you have probably realized that I am biased, but there is a reason behind my own personal fascination. Not only are they both incredibly talented, but they seem relatable, and endearing. Some find connection in Jay-Z’s lyrics, his persona, and never dying spirit. Some find connection in Beyoncé’s commitment to religion, her previous need for her alter-ego Sasha fierce (her sensual, aggressive alternate persona) and her new found comfort, "I don't need Sasha Fierce anymore, because I've grown and now I'm able to merge the two." For some, it is the everlasting humbleness and their contradictory privacy that draws the public to the couple, but for most it is the honest love story of the two, that attracts the publics attention, like children to ice-cream.

The two of them met in 2002 while working on an album together, and rumors started to circulate after she was featured on “ ’03 Bonnie and Clyde”. However, the couple were always discreet, and private, dismissing questions of one another in interviews, and keeping their relationship simply for themselves. After their marriage, they have become more open about their relationship (ex. Jay-Z on BBC) however, they have never been disrespectful and often refer to each other as “my husband” and “my wife”. They have collaborated multiple times, (Crazy in Love, How I Like It, Hollywood, ‘03 Bonnie and Clyde, Deja Vu, and Upgrade U) and Jay-Z often references Beyoncé in his songs (ex. “but... BK is from Texas.) With a couple this cute, how could the public NOT fall in love with them?

Now, if I were to try and figure out the public’s fascination with celebrity couples myself, I would start with the obvious hypotheses, we love the rich and beautiful, and having two of them makes it all the more fascinating. We want to be removed from our own lives, and find fulfillment in the modern love stories of famous stars. We are bored with our repetitive months of monotony, and find excitement in the never ending circles of drama that our celebrities present to us. Sure, these things seem pretty cookie cutter, pretty reasonable, and for the most part pretty true. It seems as if we, (the public) LOVE the drama, but we also LOVE the success, the honesty, the privacy, and the love.

Is this, what fascinates us with celebrities?

-Gracie

6 comments:

  1. Gracie, I like the detailed description you give of both couples. Initially, really the only thing I knew was that they were both together and I didn't think there was a huge difference between the two couples. Your background on how they got together and how they act in the media was very interesting and informative. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post. You stated that your very opinionated and biased but I beg to differ. Although you are biased, I feel like it's enough of the majority's opinion that it's fine that you wrote in that way. No one I have ever spoken to takes Heidi/Spencer seriously at all. I really loved what you had to say about Jay-Z/Beyonce also because they are both inspirational people and I really appreciate their relationship as well.

    -Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracie, my dear, what a wonderful article, i loved the detail and the thought process you put behind this article. I love the Jay Z. What drove you to pick this topic? Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally celebrities just wave money around to stuff done. That's what Heidi did and the rest of the Hills cast. I also think Jay-Z and Beyonce have more class cause they are already and both have a lot of respect, but like Jacquelinexrae said, they assume they can take on the world. Do you think that is true? Have Heidi and Spencer split? Why do Jay-Z and Beyonce have such a great marriage? They should just give tips to Heidi and Spencer
    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the article it really explores two major contrasts in the celebrity couple genre. I love how you showed your bias clearly but accepted it to make your article better. - JoE tArBe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Setting these two couples against each other was helpful for me. I enjoy being informed of the Heidi Spencer disaster because, at some level, I want to see them fall apart and feel better about myself.

    With Beyonce and Jay-z I find myself actively rooting for them. When I hear that their relationship is not %100 camelot, I actively work to forget these potential warts.

    However, it strikes me that there are few other celebrity couples who people cheer on in the same way. I think people did for Brad & Jen, way back when, but we know what happens in that story. So whats the deal? Why do I hold such skepticism for these relationships?

    I think its largely because we know it is all, their celebrity, their relationships, everything, at some level, a lie. THis is made explicit in cases like Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise where the couple is purported to be together for strictly publicity reasons.

    Does this allow us to somehow feel better about the feelings within us that feel authentic?

    ReplyDelete