Monday, October 4, 2010

Hey Bro - Stefan

There comes a time, when a man asks himself if they truly understand what it means to be a bro, and more specifically what it means to be in a broship. You hear about bros all the time, weather it be as I pass you in the hall and ask “what’s up bro?”, when somebody’s stray Frisbee lands at your feet and you hear “hey bro can you help us out”, or even as it was originally used, an abbreviation for brother. Bros, or the idea of a bro, are everywhere and shape our society in ways we can’t even begin to understand. I’m not kidding when I say, that the idea of a bro can lead a little boy cough* ten year old me coug* to their understanding of masculinity or their relationship with their friends. It definitely affects people’s idea of college, it’s value, and fraternities, but I’ll get into that later. We all see the word ‘bro’ in a different way, and it affects us all differently, because like any word, or concept, (words are concepts after all right?) it’s meaning is derived solely by yours and societies perception of said word/concept. So before my thoughts run away with me, I’ll try to project my understanding of what it means to be a bro onto you in the hopes that the whole world embraces it.
Of course we’ve all heard and some even seen what the comedic media presents as bros. Websites like College humorr will show you pictures or articles of trust fund frat guys drinking beers playin’ some LaX, icing each other and nailin’ some chicks. But the comedic media also portrays like, female high schoolers as, like, dumb valley girls, as if, portrays conservatively minded voters as George W esque, grammatically incorrect sentence forming buffoons, inhabitants of rural areas as gun tottin’, bible thumpin’, drawling fools, and eco conscious individuals, as bleeding heart liberal greenies who would sooner die of thirst than buy a plastic water bottle. The media does all this for one reason, and one reason only, it’s easier to make fun of an exaggerated or even falsified stereotype than the real thing. And I for one, simply refuse, to ever, ever accept that the beer drinkin, football watchin’, lax playin’, loud, annoying, bigoted college frat dude, is a bro.
Maybe I’m being idealistic, clinging to my what’ I’ve always held to be a bro, but as my bro put it, “a bro is someone you can tell things you can’t tell a friend, who you have a special relationship with where you start words with bro like: brolationship, broski, brossef. A bro is someone you can trust, because they’ll always be there for you.”
I concur bro,
I concur.
I know that said bro is my bro, through and through. The past five weeks of my life have shown me that there are bros out there. There are guys that you can stay up with for a few hours after the days work has been done, or more often than not put off till tomorrow and just talk with, make incredibly disgusting or offensive jokes with, and just kinda chill with. Because If you can just chill with someone, talk about nothing, the meaning of life, about your problems, or not say anything at all, than they are your bro. I can say without a doubt that I have found bros to last a lifetime, and if this doesn’t bring a tear to your eye, it should. For all my witty little quips, this is a truly beautiful idea and I’m opening my heart to it and to you; via blog…
The next time I pass somebody µin the hall and casually call them a bro, they should know, I don’t mean it. In the same way kids my age desperately try to convince each other that they simply “love this person” and don’t meant it. Maybe we’re trying to get people to like us by begin affectionate, maybe we’re desperately searching for love/a broship… I digress…
Nay, a bro is more than an insincere passing comment in the hallway. There’s a reason you put bro’s before ho’s. You can ditch your friends for her, but unless u loves that girl, bros come first, because a bro is a dude who’s there for you, no matter what.
And with that I can say to all the guys reading this,
I love you bro.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post, but it needed to be checked for typos. There are a few in there. I loved your witty, conversational voice and it was clear that you feel strongly for your bros and the word bro. To you it is more than just a word or a prefix (i.e. brosesh) and you state it very well.
    -Tori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything Tori said, I think this is a great post. The only thing is that you mention that the idea of a bro can lead a little boy to an understanding of their masculinity in reference to yourself, and then you don't fully explain it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post even though I can't say that I relate to it very much. I like when you discuss the difference between the media's portrayal of bros and what you think the actual meaning of a bro is.It's interesting, for me, to see what the word bro means from a guy's perspective since I didn't really think it had a lot of importance and I never really paid to much attention to it.

    --Sophia N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with a lot of what you said, but there are some confusing parts in you post. There are also a lot of type-o's in your post. In the beginning of your post you state that the word bro means a lot to you, and then you continue on to say that you use the word casually, and that it doesn't mean that you don't mean it when you use it. On the other hand I like that you write this post as if you were talking to someone in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefan, Nice Bro-post. You are definitely on to something here. Bro-talk has been on the rise for a few years now, including new terms like "bromance." (which is code for "I love you like a bro, and we're not gay") So what are the assumptions under all of this bro-haha? Is this just the new cool way to assert locker room male bonding, or does it mean something deeper than that? Why does so much of the bonding need to involve drinking and sexual conquest? It seems that men need to bond to assert their masculinity, and often they have done this by going to war or playing war-like games. When they don't have this, they really struggle to do this in a constructive way. Looking forward to talking about this more.
    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI: Some men are alarmed by the current definition and manifestation of brohood when it becomes negative. Michael Kimmel wrote a whole book about it called "Guyland." Check it out.
    eder

    ReplyDelete