Sunday, October 17, 2010

Just Like Home?!


The toy that jumped out at us most, was in the “girls” section of the Toys ‘R’ Us. It was called “The Deluxe Cleaning Set” made by the company “Just Like Home.” On the box it shows a little girl enjoying her “realistic look” cleaning supplies. The set includes a toy broom, dust pan, mop, scrubbing sponges, swiffer like mop, replacement cloths, heavy duty gloves, and a mop bucket. The set comes in either light blue or lavender.

We feel that not only does this show consumers that women are supposed to grow up to clean but they should enjoy cleaning and think it’s fun. The fact that this set was in the “girls section” and showed only a girl playing on the box emphasizes the notion that cleaning is a feminine task and not masculine. The words on the front of the box, “just like home” support the idea that young girls should grow up to clean. Also it indicates the company’s premise that at the children’s own homes the women take on this role. This and the selection of baby dolls, kitchen sets, and other cleaning sets made us wonder why society influences little girls to “play grownup” long before they should.

Some questions that this raised for us were: Why are little girls attracted to these toys? While we understand that there is a pre-existing stereotype for women to be domestic that causes the industry to produce toys like this, we wonder what makes these toys so interesting to young girls. If these toys weren’t so clearly marketed towards young girls, would young boys want to buy them too? Are products like these causes or affects of gender stereotypes? If the packaging on these toys were made more gender ambiguous would it contribute to the gradual changing of female domestic stereotypes?

-Mary T., Kate, Marin, Sophia M.

3 comments:

  1. Flashback; I'm not going to lie, I had a broom and dust pan set when I was younger, and I loved it. I remembered I followed my mom around the house while she vacuumed, tagging along behind- sweeping up an imaginary mess. However, I also have a 2 year old nephew, and he has a play vacuum, that he loves. He presses the button, and it growls to life, just like his toy dinosaurs. (I'm not really sure what this has to do with your post) But, trying to relate this back, what I am curious about is what other toys this company makes? Maybe they also make a toolset for boys? Or a cooking set? a lawnmower? etc. I can totally understand what you guys are saying, and it makes sense. All I want to know, is what the companies intention are, and what other products they have introduced to many childhoods. -Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how to phrase this so I'll do my best because I don't want it to come off the wrong way. But do you think that because society has portrayed the image that mothers are to stay at home and clean, little girls find this toy as a way to be and act like a "mother"? Also, although you found it in the girls section of Toys 'R' Us, do you think the option of the blue toy set is possibly for boys? I feel as if the lavender would be for girls and the blue for boys. I wonder why that is that society has made it that I associate those colors with certain genders and I guess that's a completely different topic but I feel this toy might be the opening to that discussion.

    - Miles

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is an interesting case... what do you think would happen if a more masculine packaging was put on this and it was places in the boys section? do you think that more boys would want to buy it or do you think that they would still steer clear because that is not what little boys want to play with? also what impact does this girls mom have on her desire to clean? does having a great mom who is your role model who also happens to clean change if girls want to be a housewife? seeing your mom who you look up to clean can sometimes be the trigger for a girl to want to have a clean home. the questions you preposed were also interesting and would be great to know more about.
    -Lucy

    ReplyDelete