Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gaga Fever - Mary R.


Whether we will openly admit it or not, there is a time when all us of just can’t stop “rah rah ah ah ah-ing” to ourselves. If we’re not belting out Bad Romance, maybe we’re serenading Alejandro, or “just dancing”. Lada Gaga, love her or hate her, has the ability to take songs with catchy, annoying beats and catchphrases and imprint in our minds. I wouldn’t call myself a Gaga fan necessarily, but sometimes when open up I open up my iTunes, I find myself searching vigorously for Telephone. There isn’t much I can relate to with Lady Gaga; her lyrics don’t speak to me, her odd outfits aren’t cool and different to me, they’re weird, and I was horrified by her 2009 VMA performance. After Gaga’s controversial performance, John Kubicek, a writer for BuddyTV, took it to the Internet to write his review of the night. He said he believes Lady Gaga “delivered what [he] maintain[s] is the single greatest VMA performance of the last five years”. I’m not sure what attracted him to her staged death that came at the end of her song, made complete with fake blood spilled everywhere. I know she is taking a risk, breaking away from the norm, and making a performance that sets her apart and will be talked about, but I found this a little too over the top. I know that I may sound a little annoying as I was 15 years old when I watched this, and I am on the younger side as VMA critics go, but luckily, I stumbled across the Diary of a Hollywood Street King, Jacky Jasper, who shares a similar opinion to mine regarding Gaga’s performance. In his post he calls the “so-called artist’s” performance horrifying. He is “appalled” that Gaga would mock the handicapped, and he doesn’t agree with anything that blogger Perez Hilton is saying about supporting Gaga, and he believes that Gaga, with the help of popular blogger supporters like Perez are “furthering the destruction of real art”.
In continuing her destruction of real art, Lady Gaga kept the jaws dropping when she arrived at this year’s VMAs in an outfit made entirely of meat. Along with being disgusting, this can also be offensive to many people. She has taken her wacky style to another level, and is no longer wearing clothes that are not just socially weird and unacceptable, but are actually offending some people. While I am aware that the animal rights activists can be a little crazy and wait for opportunities to ounce on people, I think on this one Lady Gaga took it a little too far.
Although Gaga has stirred up many controversies, I don’t let it get in the way of my liking of her songs, and try to look past the crazy lifestyle that she leads to create an image of herself. After all, would people actually liker her songs if they weren’t accompanied by her absurd ways of life and shocking performances?

8 comments:

  1. I think this is a really great posts because you try and figure out how you feel and why you feel that way. Even though you don't like Lady Gaga as a person, and think that her music leaves much to be desired, you still find yourself attracted to her songs and are interested in following her life. You give helpful articles and don't leave out important parts of her image (like, for example, her crazy outfits). Your hyperlinks to other posts were very well chosen. -Mary T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For you, there definitely seems to be a difference between you liking her songs and liking her as a person. Yes, she is very over the top, and I really liked the hyperlinks that led me to the picture of the meat dress and the article against it. I see how she can be shocking and offensive to many people, and you portray that well. Never the less, her music has taken over by storm, and Gaga fever is everywhere. I like how you end with a question, it seems to leave the topic open to deeper discussion. Good job! - Marin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post. You express your real feelings about Gaga but also see the other side. I my self am not a Gaga fan either, but I am intrigued by her a little, she stands out to me. The one thing I disagree with is the meat thing, you know me I love animals!, but maybe she was trying to make a point. Actually now that I am writing this I take it back, what the hell was she thinking?! Do you think she deserves the attention she gets?
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad that you wrote about Gaga mania! I have mixed ideas about Lady Gaga to tell the truth. She and Britney Spears are sort of similar in my mind because, as you say, they have and uncanny ability to create catchy songs with repetitive lyrics and obnoxious beats. I have to give her some respect though because she has been able to become so successful. Did you find anything out about Lady Gaga as a person? Is she slightly crazy? Great topic and writing!
    -Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWZERS. I really like how you weren't afraid at all to fully express yourself and your opinion on GAGA. After reading your post, I can truly say I view Lady Gaga differently. When I first saw the music video for "Bad Romance," I thought Gaga was being so revolutionary and rebellious. Now, I think I see it your way, she is stretching the boundaries a little tooo much. Great Job.
    -Leo

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhh, the gaga. i have to say i avoided listening to her music for as long as i could, simply because i thought her name was poorly chosen. i eventually realized that i was going to hear her music whether i tried to or not, so i gave in reluctantly. you dig into a huge part of pop culture here, the overlap of the gaga craze and the VMAs ... why do you think she chooses these specific awards to pull her most outrageous stunts? i'm stuck trying to decide whether her fashion statements are still commentary on the ridiculousness of modern living, or whether she's simply given in to the fame monster. really interesting post, mary, keep up the solid work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you are taking about a guilty pleasure a lot of us can relate to. I have always been interested in lady gaga but didn’t know how the media was reacting to her. I also thought you did a great job in inserting your personal thoughts on lady gaga while talking about how she has been in the media and what she is known for. While writing this blog a lady gaga song came on and I can see how right you are about not being able to stop singing her songs. Do you think that she will go “out of style” soon or run out of things to surprise her audience with or are people going continue to be shocked by her?
    -Lucy

    ReplyDelete