Sunday, October 3, 2010

Silly Bandz - Abby




In eighth grade, I asked a girl in my English class for a hairtie. She handed me a blue, elephant shaped rubber band. Two things wrong with this picture—1) my hair is curly and rubber bands are hell to remove from tangles and 2) she had a rubber band shaped like an elephant. What the hell? I said no thanks I would ask someone else. The next day she came in wearing about 10 in all different animal shapes and colors. Everyone thought they were dumb, because when you were wearing them they didn’t even look like normal rubber bands, they just kind of looked warped and twisted. Plus the girl was kind of weird. After that I didn’t see them again for about a year and a half. I didn’t even know what they were called.
In the beginning of 10th grade, my eight-year-old sister came home wearing a jillion of them on her wrists, and proceeded to tell me all about how her friend had given them to her and they were called Silly Bandz and did I want the kangaroo or the monkey? The next day she had 3 more and a few had changed because she had traded them with a boy in her class for some rock and roll ones. Apparently animals were not enough. Soon enough—Silly Bandz were EVERYWHERE. Little kids had them, teenagers had them, and one article even proposed that Silly Bandz were being used by college-aged kids to pick up dates at bars. People wrote funny raps about them; google turned up over 1,430,000 hits when “silly bandz” was searched; schools banned them and kids in school traded them anyways.
Even I thought they were pretty cool. I had changed my mind from thinking they were ugly and useless to thinking they were cute and funny. Was I really that shallow? To change my whole opinion on a thing just because everyone else did? What is it about everyone else having something that makes you want it so badly? Do you think it stems all the way from human survival? Maybe if you saw everyone running the other way from a wild beast you would think it was cool to do it too, so you would survive. Think on it.
This phenomenon of Silly Bandz did not end quickly. People still sport these funny rubber bands; in fact I got a couple from CITYtermers just recently (a duck and some Toy Story 3 characters). What is it about these bands that make them so intriguing? Is it their low cost? The maker certainly was conscious of the economy’s status when pricing Silly Bandz. Each packet only costs about $5.00 for 24 Bandz. Is it the fact that you can get them in any shape and color? This certainly would make it appeal to a larger audience. College kids would probably think it was funny to have beer bottle Silly Bandz, and little girls would more likely want a puppy or a princess crown over Spiderman or a racecar.
This trend had definitely had a lot of publicity. It has swept up young and old alike, and been picked up by even high-end newspapers such as the New York Times and Washington Post (which suggests that there may even be health risks associated with the little bands). But then again—remember the beanie baby explosion in 2001? And the neopets fad in 2004 and webkinz in around 2007? History definitely repeats itself when it comes to trends in pop-culture.

9 comments:

  1. Abby,
    I really like your story the beginning, it really showed me how you were connected to the subject. It was also really interesting how you brought it back around to you when you questioned why you changed your mind about silly bandz. You used your experience to talk about a larger issue that we can all relate too.

    -Adela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Adela, it was engaging to start out with a personal story. It is cool to read about Silly Bandz because I remember the first time I saw them too. I wonder how long the will stay popular? Like you said things come in and out of trends.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby! I like that you started the article with silly bends, but actually had point on the correlation between human instinct (survival) and and trend. I questioned why would schools ban 'Silly Bandz,' but your link helped a lot. It was brilliant to link the news article. Also, this topic directly relates to our life at CITYterm. NICE JOB! - Caelyn K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this piece. It was good that you started out with a story, and I loved how you made it almost into a self reflection at some point by talking about how you immediately changed your mind into thinking they were cool. I also wonder how long they will stay popular. I also wonder if they will last longer because unlike webkinz, they are something you carry around, and unlike Beenie Babies, they are light and easy to carry.

    Deema

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABBY,
    I like how you connected this to yourself with personal experiences. It made it really interesting and also made it stand out as well. I also like how you self-implicate when you say that you had subconsciously started accepting Silly Bandz because everyone else was doing it--kind of that conformist attitude. Awesome job. It was a good read. Lez trade some silly bandz tomorrow after schoo ;)

    -Christian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like everyone else, I really like how you started off with a story. I have to say, I'm a little slow on the trends and didn't even know what Silly Bandz were until a few months ago. I really wonder what makes these bands so popular and how long they will stay a trend.

    -Blair

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really intrigued by your opening story, particularly because the girl who initially showed you the Silly Bandz in 8th grade "was kind of weird" anyway, but something else happened where one (or many) kids who were "less weird" or "more cool" (who even decides that anyway?) picked up on the fad (or perhaps made it a fad) - and all of a sudden they were a huge hit, and you and so many others decided they were worth the time and energy and money.

    It was great to have a wide array of sources (from NYtimes to that guy on the youtube video) from which to reflect on this fad. There's a strange tension though that I really want to know all of your perspectives on - Silly Bandz have this very child-like appeal (primary colors, shapes that are connected to young people's toys and playthings - at least that was what they started off as, right?), yet they're also appealing to adults who even use them to pick people up at bars. BARS. WHAT?! There is something really strange about that tension to me. It's almost like going to a bar and handing someone a baby rattle and asking for their number. What?! What are your thoughts on this?!

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember neopets and webkinz i had a few bennie babaies but i had around five neopets and over 20 webkinz though there is so much more i could have spent my money on but now im completely obsessed with God and anime

    ReplyDelete