Sunday, October 3, 2010

"I like girls who wear Abercrombie and fitch..." or do I?

I see those girls walking around the mall carrying their latest buy from Abercrombie and I wonder how they can let the store take control of them, and why would they all want to wear the same thing? I find myself judging them thinking who would want to look like those smutty girls on the walls of Abercrombie. But the truth is I was the exact same way at their age. When I was in 5th and 6th grade I was one of the many girls who thought you were only cool if you had the word Abercrombie or a moose somewhere on your clothing. I would beg my mom to take me shopping there, spend endless time on the website and even Abercrombie hand-me-downs from my sister were a treat. I am now one of those girls that wouldn’t be caught dead wearing Abercrombie because I think the morals of the store and the way they present their styles are appalling. Looking back on my Abercrombie days I remember thinking how good I looked with the word Abercrombie plastered across my chest with a little tank top and tight flare jeans. Clearly my idea of Abercrombie has changed drastically

Abercrombie is a company in our society that is greatly debated. For girls and boys ages 10-14 this is an attraction. The idea of looking older then you actually are is something that kids strive to do. The clothing at Abercrombie was originally targeted to teenagers 18-22 years old. The models in the store are around that age as well. But it ended up making younger kids think that if they buy these clothes not matter the cost they will look older then they are. Abercrombie is an extremely well known company the clothes are seen in tv shows and referenced in songs. Reading blogs from other people they say that they love walking into an Abercrombie, they love the loud music and the perfume that is always in the air. They love all the cute stylish clothes and the model picture on the walls. The parents that are paying for this expensive style look at it and a different way. What my parents always thought was the clothes are cheaply made and the kids will grow out of their new 50-dollar sweatshirt with in a matter of months.

The advertisement is one of the things that make Abercrombie so unappealing to parents and to me and a lot of my friends. The way Abercrombie is portrayed is all about sex appeal. They put their models in as little clothes as possible and post it all over their website and in their stores. The models don’t only make kids want to look older but the way the girls and guys are shown together makes people kids think that if they wear these clothes they too will get a “hot” girlfriend or boyfriend. This gives false assumptions about what these clothes will do for a person. The way girls are targeted is especially inappropriate. The fact that the clothes that are produced are so reveling and tight is another way that Abercrombie is trying to make girls think they should look a certain way. They want skinny girls to be able to fit and to a triple zero and anyone else to think they should. The sense of what girls should look like is so skewed. Shouldn’t girls be able to look they way they do naturally? To me Abercrombie is a horrible company but to other kids its all the rage.

Lucy

10 comments:

  1. This is a good post because it starts of with your opinion but then you rethink- you used to like Abercrombie to! From there you talk about what Abercrombie is, and what is wrong with you. You give logical reasons and explain what your problems are with it, and you give the points of you from people who like it and people (parents!) who don't like it. Also, I think your hyperlinks were extremely helpful, especially the song (which made me realize how in our culture it is) and the model shot. -Mary T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really saw Abercrombie as a store all about sex appeal, but reading your post, I am starting to look at it that way. You do a very good job with stating your very clear point about the companies morals. I like how you compare the point of views between children and their parents who are paying for the clothes. Abercrombie does promote the "beautiful people," and yes, it seems like that is the only type they want wearing their clothing. Abercrombie is definitely an image thing, and I love how adamant you are in expressing your opinion - Marin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you Lucy! I like how you mention your opinion on kids liking and wearing Abricrombie. Why is it that kids feel the need to look older? Why do Abricrombie cloths help them achieve that? One thing you could have added on to was the modeling piece of it. At least for me the models are a huge attraction and turn off from the store. Maybe exploring that... Just a thought :)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice title :) I liked the way you started off talking about those annoying girls that you instantly judge, but then relating it back to yourself and saying that you used to act the same way. I thought you used hyperlinks that supported your ideas well, and helped me see things like the song and the sex-appeal picture. I think you did a great job showing how you used to think, how you think now, and why. GOOD JOB! - Mary R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting because I spotted some nice divergent thinking here! I was interested in the part where you talk about how kids always want to look older than they are. My question is "what is the age at which you want to start looking younger?" and to add on to that "Is there ever an age where people are satisfied?" This is full of many good ideas!!
    -Lara

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAAAAAAAMN GUUUUUURL SOOOOOO TRUUUUUEEEEEE. I have grown up thinking that exact same thing. I think Abercrombie is the biggest bull shit store out there. They implant "the perfect body" into young teen's minds and all that does is begin a long and depressing high school battle with appearance. Props to you for seeing through the Abercrombie scam, nicely done. Nicely done.
    -Leo

    ReplyDelete
  7. this post makes me pretty happy, because i've despised abercrombie ever since 5th grade, when i realized i wasn't going to be able to afford it, ever. haha! but seriously, you seem to hit the nail on the head: abercrombie is able to sell its clothing at such a high price because it's selling a lifestyle, not just the clothes. have you heard about any of the lawsuits that have been filed against the company for discrimination? i can't remember who was telling me about this, but think about it: what do most of the abercrombie models and retail workers look like? something fishy about that ... great work lucy!

    -john

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally i hate how they are skimpily dressed i have never and never will go into an abercrombie just the pictures turn me away I am a christian and im in seventh grade i go to a christian school and yet one of the girls always wears an abercrombie sweatshirt i asked her why she wore it she just replied "There's nothing wrong with abercrombie?" I said "It has poorly dressed men and women" she replied " no it dosent it perfectly fine to wear to a christian school" I walked away :) as it is i have one sweatshirt from abercrombie that my old boyfriend got me and i only wear it around the house when im cold ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. i see your point and agree with you but those nasty models are for woman and men not the children the children just have little girls holding dogs or 15 year old boys with no shirts but you cant judge someone by what they wear the shirts are fine its not like there clothes have pictures of have naked woman and men on it but then agian im only in the sixth grade so i dont really know if i know what im talking about but thats just wait i think:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like abercrombie and I always wondered why my mom hated me shopping there so much.Now that I think about it,they do have the same junk every season and since I just got into it about a year ago,it's become so much clearer.The prices are ridiculous but they are pretty good quality.I have also noticed that girls at my school where the same type of clothing all the time.Its like their twins.I will try to not shop there again .

    ReplyDelete