Monday, March 15, 2010

Barbie: Prostitute or Professional?

When I was growing up, my parents never let me own Barbies. I used to resent them for it, but after my trip to Toys-R-Us, I understand why. Walking into the store, I was instantly overwhelmed by the huge amount of noisy, flashing toys. I had no idea where to look first, but, being in an all-girls group, I was immediately dragged to the life-size Barbie mansion. What I found in there was completely shocking to me. I had never really understood why Barbies were so controversial, but seeing the way these dolls represented women disgusted me. The makers of Barbie had for some reason rereleased a bunch of their Barbies that were created in the past six decades. These included a variety of dolls: Barbies on vacation, Barbies in the workplace, and even (gasp!) black Barbies. The most shocking was the black Barbie from the 50’s with the caption, “She’s black! She’s beautiful! She’s dynamite!” I don’t think I will ever understand why the makers thought it would be acceptable to rerelease this in 2010. However, I thought the line of Barbies in the workplace said the most about what this company is trying to teach children about gender. These were created in the 60’s and, though Barbie was seemingly doing this to show women are able to have jobs, the message that came across to me was one that was very demeaning to women. The Barbies were dressed up for different professions, including schoolteacher, nurse, flight attendant, and rocket scientist. Even though they were supposed to be working, their outfits were provocative and form-fitting. Though I’m not particularly bothered by Barbie’s unrealistic body and slutty clothes, this suggested to me that looking good is more important for women than doing their jobs well. All the Barbies were also wearing so much makeup that, had it been real life, they would never have gotten the job. The fact that Barbie chose these particular careers also seemed rather sexist. The careers were all typical jobs you would expect a girl to have, where they have no real power. Why can’t Barbie be a doctor, a scientist, or a businesswoman? Though the Barbies did have real jobs, they still seemed unable to separate themselves from “girly” things. The caption next to the schoolteacher mentioned her Ph.D. in Fashion, and the flight attendant’s caption was, “Fashionable on any runway.” Making so many references to fashion alludes to the fact that this is the only thing that should really matter to women. Another thing that stood out to me was that all the Barbies were serving men. Is this what the company believed Barbie’s rightful place to be? To me, the line of Barbies in the workplace suggested that, even though women can get jobs, they must always remember their “girlyness” and never hold positions of power.

I think the reason I was so bothered by these Barbies is because I definitely aspire to be successful and have nothing about my future limited by my gender. Seeing these Barbies and thinking about the amount of young girls who learn from them makes me slightly worried about the possibility of this aspiration. I don’t want my future, or any other woman’s, to be compromised because of the attitude of the media.

-Amelia

5 comments:

  1. I like how you assert your reactions and opinion of Barbie upon seeing her life-size mansion. I am curious about why you found it appalling that the makers of Barbies rereleased the Black barbie of the 50s. I also am unsure of the conclusion that Barbie's form-fitting and slutty clothes suggest that looking good is MORE important than doing their jobs well. Keeping in mind that a Barbie doll must contain a certain degree of beauty in order to appeal to its clients, where do you understand Barbie's apparent interest in fashion to outweigh her interest in her professional realm? Are there no sufficient props that suggest the profession? Is the clothing too provocative and distracting to pass for appropriate work attire? Ohh... as I read on I see the captions seem to admit the makers intention of making Barbie maintain her one "true" passions- beauty and fashion. Your final statement is truthful, if ominous.

    P.S.Does each Barbie from each decade provide a window onto the historical era? Does the fact that the "makers" rereleased barbies from the '50s denote that the U.S. has not made any progress in regards to the image the media provides of gender - or (more seriously) the power women have in society compared to men?

    - Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has actually been a lot of feminist criticism of Barbie. One of the main criticisms has been that the proportions of her body are disturbing. Here is one version of it:

    "If scaled into real life proportions, she would be 5 feet, 9 inches, (1.75 m) measuring 36-18-33. According to research by the University Central Hospital in Helsinki, Finland, she would lack the requisite 17 to 22 percent of body fat required to menstruate."

    Sources:
    Lord, M.G. Forever Barbie: The Unauthorized Biography of a Real Doll. New York: William Morrow and Company,
    Inc., 1994.

    O’Sickey, Ingeborg Majer. “Barbie Magazine and the Aesthetic Commodification of Girls’ Bodies.” On Fashion. Ed. Shari Benstock and Suzanne Ferriss. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1994.

    What I find equally disturbing is that her feet are permanently in the position of wearing high heels.
    I allowed my daughter to play with Barbies (and sometimes she got them as birthday gifts from her friends), but my wife and I often commented on how she did not seem to have a realistic body type. Eventually, she moved on to other toys. But what impression did this leave on her, I wonder?
    -Erik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amelia,
    Its interesting because Shelby Nick and I had similar reactions in seeing these barbies and we wrote one of the blog things as a group on it too. I find it really appalling that parents buy these for their kids without even noticing the messages that they send out. I also found it frustrating that it gives a message that women can't be successful without having ties to fashion. I'm also struggling with the idea that it was a rerelease of something made in the 60's--i don't see the point in doing that or if it even changes anything.
    -Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we're not supposed to say "like" in these things, but I really did like how you focused more on the way Barbie was dressed and represented rather than her body type, which is perfectly valid point that is much too overused. I hadn't realized that even while she's a "professional" at many things her clothes are always beautiful. Also, in response to Erik's comment, I hadn't thought about her feet being perpetually in "high-heel pose". That's a little creepy, almost as creepy as dressing sluttily for work. What sane person tries to get a man while they're flying a plane??

    ReplyDelete