Sunday, March 7, 2010

Why So Silent?

Alicia

I suppose one reason I have no aversion to silent films, or even black-and-white films as some of my friends do, is that I was raised on them. I can only vaguely remember being introduced to Charlie Chaplin and his tramp antics—it was really that long ago. I even dressed up as Chaplin for Halloween in fifth grade. I realize this is a unique childhood, to be watching silent shorts instead of Disney Channel, but that’s just how it went down for me. Of course, I “grew out” of it (question: now that I think about it, how can you grow out of something that’s at least ten times as old as you?), but recently I went back to them, this time to the feature-length films. One reason I really like them, to be honest, is that I like to laugh at the ridiculousness of some of them. It was really the same situation back then as it is now; every now and then you got a gem, but a good number of them were pretty crappy plots. The thing about the gems is that they really were good. They make me laugh and they make me cry. There’s something so universal about anything conveyed without words that it could reach anyone if they give it a chance.

One very common mistake, one that I had done as well until a few months ago, was making the assumption that “talking” films and silents are virtually the same thing. This is not true. It’s like the difference between figure skating and ballet. It’s basically the same thing . . . but then again it’s not. Yes, it’s a film, but it requires so much more audience participation. No one ate popcorn in movie theaters; it would detract from their concentration. Seeing a film in the early 1900s was making a commitment to “listening” to the telling of a story. Today, all of us know we can do our homework and watch a movie at the same time while still getting the main storyline of the film and understanding the main concepts of our homework. I personally was shocked to find that sound films were not greeted with open arms; many silent film actors couldn’t make the switch and grieved for the passing of their art form. They felt it, being the silent film, was the ultimate expression of human emotion because it could reach so many people, regardless of the language they spoke. Another surprise: silent films had unbelievable affects on their viewers. One in particular, the infamous Birth of a Nation, made in 1915, sparked a number of race riots resulting in a few deaths and actually brought on a revival of the dying Klu Klux Klan. However, one actress who acted in the film went to see the picture in an audience of mostly grown men; she later commented that by the end of the show the row of seats was shaking with their sobs. This specific film had more of a reaction, and so many different reactions, than perhaps any film since.

I love how this medium constantly surprises me with its power and its innovation. When I was a child it was more of, “Look at the funny man eating his shoes!” More recently, I’ve been noticing how they play with the level of subtly they can use while still getting the message across without the power of words, and how they play with light and shadows to emphasize an image or idea. It’s a bit like our visual essays. They just take it to the next level. They push every shot to the limit, every story—often they pushed the production code, which limited what sort content they could have in their stories. Many silent films are much racier than the films of the ‘40s and ‘50s, when that famous rule of a husband and wife sleeping in different beds was enforced. The concept of a film telling a story, in the 1910s and ‘20s, was not even thirty years old, and yet there was so much imagination and experimentation at work. It amazes me and it surprises me nearly every time I see one of those “gems”. And, truth be told, I love being surprised.

5 comments:

  1. I am really engaged by this blog because it gives me a window into silents films, which I have never scene. You discuss how the lack of words open them to wide interpretation but how does the acting play a role in this? To the actors overact to compensate for the silence, or do they act the same way allowing for ambiguity? I'm also curious about why actors didn't accept the new sound film and what differences were part of their decision to stop acting? Really interesting ideas i've never though of
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia,
    I find the authenticity of your voice to be very compelling- specifically the phrase, “but that’s just how it went down for me.” You speak of your topic from an intimate distance that smoothly presents your thoughts and allows me to easily absorb them. I am compelled by how silent films seem to serve you in each stage of your life (the “shorts” during your early childhood and now the feature film during young adulthood- what will there role be in your adulthood? Will you perhaps write one or participate in one yourself?) I am also engaged by how silent films demand the active engagement of the “reader” or viewer in order to be understood. Perhaps as you continue to be amused by the sheer “ridiculousness” of some of the feature films, silent films allow your childish and mature self to emerge at the same time – a rather rare phenomenon. My lingering question is what about silent films demanded the audiences’ undivided attention? Simply because they were silent? I may have to see one to find out….

    - Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia,
    I really like how you focused on why exactly silent films have always been such a big part of your life; I feel like I really understand it now. It was also interesting how, after discussing something you love, you admitted that it has flaws by talking about some of the silent films that are awful. I think this is a very common theme and the fact that you admitted these flaws made your writing sound more authentic. Another thing I found interesting was how you described your progression in understanding silent films throughout your life. While it was just a form of amusement in your childhood, you have been able to find more and more meaning in it as you have grown up. One thing that I'm curious about, since we talked read about the difference between films and movies in Touré, is whether you consider silent films to be more like thoughtful films or entertaining movies.
    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia,
    I found your piece really interesting. I have never even seen a silent film much less have they as a passion. But the way you set up your blog and so clearly articulated the reasons why you love silent films gave me a better understanding of what a silent film actually is. I also find it extremely intersting that you grew up watching silent films and am curious as the how you were able to stay focused on the movies when they have no sound and how that came about that you decided to watch these movies. I think you should explore more on the idea if why you prefer silent films over normal movies because its so unusual. What is it about not having sound that intrigues you? Is it the ability to create your own script in your head allowing the piece to relate to your own life?
    -Ansley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia-
    I find it mildly amusing that silent films have made it into a 2010 pop culture blog, but you have to stick with me here because I think it works. Take facebook for instance and think about the countless hours that people spend clicking through photos of their friends and family doing various activities. If you click fast enough it even looks like a flipbook. If you were not actually there when the pictures were taken, you start to yourself create the story of what is going on in the photos. Is this obsessive picture clicking actually a silent film in the making? Is it the modern day version of the experience that you are talking about when patrons used to attend silent films, devoting all of their attention to capturing every last detail to be able to best illustrate what Chaplin was trying to convey? I think it might be. As a culture we have become obsessed with social networking, YouTube, and the ability to instantly be able to watch and understand things about the people you are viewing. I guess silent films give you that ability too but with this creative freedom to be able to have your own interpretations of the situation or story. What is it about sound that is so important to understanding a story? Why have silent films essentially gone silent in theaters but yet are recreating themselves on the internet? Do you see where I am going here?
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete