Monday, March 15, 2010

Yes I am a woman, Yes I know the game, Yes I watch ESPN by Ariana

Growing up with two older brothers, I have always been around sports. Whether I wanted to or not, I came to love playing and watching sports. If you knew me before CITYterm, you would probably say that I fit into the “jock” category of high school. I made two varsity sports’ teams in 8th grade and a third varsity team in 9th grade. But, this to some people brings certain assumptions and stereotypes. People are surprised that I like the colors pink and purple, or that I like to go shopping, or that I paint my nails. Why do hobbies have to be associated with gender? Can’t we do what we love to do without judgment, without having to defend our femininity or masculinity? Tiffany Davies, a writer for bleacherreport.com, said “we are not the women who watch baseball and football for the men in tight pants. We are instead the women who bring a feminine touch to the sports world.” As she puts it, watching and playing sports as a female, does not mean we are more “masculine,” we simply bring new methods and perspective on the games.

Why does society automatically correlate sports and sexuality? Whenever I tell someone that my sister is on the women’s hockey team at Cornell, they depict a certain image of her without actually meeting her. One of the most common stereotypes is that if you play women’s hockey, you are a lesbian. My sister is not a lesbian, she simply enjoys playing hockey. In fact, all but 3 girls on her hockey team are not lesbians. But for men, playing sports defends your masculinity and is associated with being “straight.” Why does society adhere so tightly to these false stereotypes, instead of rejoicing in the common ground that can be found between genders?

Each year from freshman to junior year, I quit one of my sports. Some people think I’m crazy for quitting a varsity team, but the y are the same people that pushed me away from these activities. I never stopped loving the game. The thrill, the excitement, the fun, the friendships, the education that I got from basketball, field hockey, and softball are still there. It’s the stereotypes that confined me and limited me in my life that I wanted to get rid off. Yeah, the time commitment, and the physical stress was part of the reason I quit them. But, I think the main reason was because I didn’t want to be labeled as athletic, or a lesbian, or masculine. Why can’t I be straight and like sports? Society makes it that you have to choose which side to identify with: masculine hobbies, or feminine hobbies. I enjoy both “masculine” and “feminine” activities; I broke the gender lines by playing and watching “men” sports. Some people may say that I am not being true to myself, but maybe freeing myself from these stereotypes will open up new paths in life. Maybe I should have been happy with the way society perceives me. I found that playing sports outside of a regular structured team is the easiest way to balance both sides of myself.

5 comments:

  1. Your blog is really interesting (and sad). I really agree with what you were saying about how "masculine" and "femenine" hobbies aren't actually related to one's sexual orientation or whether one is "femenine" or "masculine". But I do wonder, how do you think these stereotypes got started, and why are they still in use, when they are clearly not accurate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really show your feelings in this blog and I like it. You use specific examples and you have famous figures that relate to you. It's not really anything I ever thought about before, but while reading, I realized that the very same issue affected me too. It was cool how your blog became a mirror from the clarity within it. Great job! I wonder though, if you've ever regretted leaving sports teams? Is it still something that bothers you today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog really interested me, especially because I can relate to it so much. I play basketball as well and I love it so much, and I definitely know what you're talking about when people consider it "manly." A question I have though: why would you let this get to you so much that it made you quit a team? Did it really bother you that much? Didn't you want to prove people wrong and show them that you are a woman and play sports?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ari, I liked that you were honest and gave us the reader a piece of who you are in the blog. I feel like in this blog you really got to the bottom of the issue you are writing about. My question for you is whether or not you regret quitting your sports teams because of societies influence.

    ReplyDelete