Sunday, March 7, 2010

Harry Potter: Why I Love It

Harry Potter: Why I Love It

Zoe B.

It is reasonable to cry when a loved one dies. It is even reasonable to cry when an old pet or a famous celebrity dies. We, as humans, are expected to cry when we loose something dear and important and constant in our lives. So then, I ask, was it reasonable to cry when Harry Potter sacrifices his life at the end of the seventh book? I think I could probably get half of the readers of this blog to agree that, yes, crying over Harry Potter’s self-less death was reasonable. These readers would understand that I, as a Harry Potter fanatic, was coming to the conclusion of a wonderful story; at the time my emotions were already wearing thin and Harry’s supposed death was simply the tipping point. But, what happens when I admit that I cried again during both my second and third readings of the final book? Now I may have even a dedicated Harry Potter fan a little concerned. The average person is likely thinking, “Zoe, you knew Harry was going to sacrifice himself and you knew he was going to survive—why would you cry?” But that’s the thing. It’s not about what I know or don’t know. It’s not about whether Harry survives or dies. It’s about the experience, in the moment, of watching Harry Potter give up his life for the well-being of the rest of the wizarding community; it’s about the culmination of four thousand two hundred and twenty-four pages; it’s about reliving the story again and again.

* * *

I have spent days of my life reading, discussing, and re-reading the Harry Potter series. These are days that I will never get back, days when I could have been seeing the world, or hanging out with friends, or getting work done. But I have no regrets on how I spent those days and I will undoubtedly spend many more submerged in the world of Harry Potter before I die. Harry Potter has a way of being more than a collection of novels for me; it is a world, an entire state of being.

I am not alone in my avid appreciation of the world of Harry Potter. Entire websites such as, my personal favorite, BeyondHogwarts.com, are dedicated to discussing and analyzing the texts of the Harry Potter series. On these sites one can post a topic of their own or one can merely browse previous discussions, looking for some solace in the findings of others. While many would laugh at such users, calling them obsessive or in desperate need of “a life”, the websites in reality do not attract the average commercialized Harry Potter fanatic. Sites like BeyondHogwarts.com focus on deciphering the novels; their users treat J.K. Rowling’s texts like treasure chests—every page, a means of better understanding the story and world of Harry Potter. In a sense, these people are the ones truly building J.K. Rowling’s alternate reality. They fill in the gaps of the story not with speculation, gossip, or a false franchise but instead they explore the pure words J.K. Rowling has left behind. These users are unique; they attempt to expand the Harry Potter stories only through the stories themselves.

It is the sites that build off the Harry Potter franchise, adding, altering, and commercializing the story that strip away Harry Potter’s dignity and all that he stands for. Sites like Harry Potter The Exhibition exploit the world that J.K. Rowling has created and in so doing they pollute it. The Harry Potter franchise has blurred the lines between Rowling’s world and the commercial world—two lines, which should not be mixed. What makes Harry Potter magical is it’s ability to escape the grips of the real world; yet Warner Bros. Inc., the owner of the Harry Potter movie and theme park franchise, has latched on to Harry, roughly dragging him into Hollywood, Toys-R-Us stores, and TV screens. For me, the beauty of Harry Potter is it’s simple truth: J.K. Rowling has told a story across the pages of seven novels and from these pages alone does Harry Potter exist. There is only one source on the world of Harry Potter—Warner Brothers needs to back off.

* * *

I do not know exactly why I participate in the intellectual exploration of Harry Potter. I’d like to think it is out of a constant search for hope and creativity and imagination. I love the world of Harry Potter and I never want to stop loving it; yet merely reading and re-reading the books, while enjoyable, would not be fulfilling. By digging into the books I expand my experience with the world of Harry Potter. Each connection found, each foreshadow newly sighted, each ambiguous line discussed furthers the possibilities of the wizarding world. The Harry Potter series offers my life surprise, color, and originality in a way that no other story can; the depth, complexity, and richness of Rowling’s novels allow me to create an entire reality in my mind’s eye—somewhere to escape to and somewhere to dream about.

Now, obviously not everyone can get the same intense joy from Harry Potter that I get from it. But, I still strongly believe that each person, each adult, needs a Harry Potter. The problem is that many adults are too afraid of putting so much heart into one thing. In modern society as we grow older, we are taught that petty things like novels, movies, and TV shows should not be the source of our happiness. But I dare others to allow the small things to grow and expand in their hearts. I dare others to find joy in life’s simple obsessions—the joy can be richer and deeper than we ever expect.

For me, while J.K. Rowling may never write another sentence in the Harry Potter series, the story will always entertain. I will continue to enjoy the world of Harry Potter, letting it grow and expand as I explore the pages deeper and further. Finally, I challenge all other readers to see the completion of Rowling’s seventh novel not as the end of the road but as a bend in the road. Go back. Explore. Analyze. Relive. That is the wonder of books. That is the wonder of our obsessions. They never die.

10 comments:

  1. Zoe,
    I learned quite a lot from your blog post. Sure, I've heard my Harry Potter obsessed friends go on and on about Harry Potter, how much they love him/the series, and ramble on about events in the books that I don't understand. I've never read the books. I've seen the movies and think they're pretty good. My brother is a Harry Potter fanatic. I always tagged along with him to the midnight book release parties, I was faithfully by his side as the line dragged on through the book store. I went to every midnight release of the movies. But I never got into the actual books. I like reading, but thought the book fans were a tad too obsessive for my taste.

    When you talked about "daring to find joy in life's simple obsessions", I was finally able to relate to the Harry Potter craze. I have a similar obsession with the All-American Rejects. Now that I can understand the Harry Potter passions a little better, I may give the series a try.

    -Zoe M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe - I have to tell you that I have never read through any of the Harry Potter books (I've read through the first 100 pages of the first one), but I am compelled by the depth of your relationship--both with Harry Potter and with the text itself--and do desire, as a reader and a person, to become so wholly immersed in the powerful and intricate webs of a meaningful story. It seems to me that any reader's ability to so wholly engage with a book--and the intellectual community that shares your same deep love for the characters and the complexity of its stories--signals a beautiful kind of focus and care for something that you've been able to bring to life, if even in your own mind as a reader. I'm still trying to figure out what it is about me that has made me unable to engage with this text--or resistant to engage with it--and I think that thinking more closely through the ideas in your post may bring me closer to figuring that out.

    I'm really curious about what it is specifically about Harry Potter as a character (who seems to really come to life for so many people in incredible ways) that so many people seem to connect to. People seem able to bring him to life in such an intense way, in a way that makes me wonder if people have spent more time deepening their relationships to Harry Potter and trying to understand him than they have with some of the closest people in their life. You've articulated very eloquently the ways in which Rowling skillfully gives the story depth and richness, and she seems to have done it in a way some people's relationships to Harry Potter are even more 'real' and more 'authentic' real live relationships.

    Do you think this is true at all? (For others? For you?) If so, why is it? Is there something about the fact that Harry Potter is 'timeless,' and will not change? That once the seventh book is over, it's over, and Harry's perfections (and imperfections) won't have to be nagging at the readers? Or am I placing too much emphasis on Harry himself, and not enough on the intricacies of the story? Do you think that you will ever outgrow your deep love for Harry Potter?

    And finally, I love the idea that ‘completing’ the seventh book isn’t the end, but the beginning of a new thing – going back, exploring, reliving something with fresh eyes and new perspectives can give you added depth both on the text and on yourself. I have my own “Harry Potters,” for sure, but I’m even more intrigued now to find out why you put so much emphasis on yours. Thanks for sharing. - Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe,
    I have to tell you that I have never read through any of the Harry Potter books (I've read through the first 100 pages of the first one), but I am compelled by the depth of your relationship--both with Harry Potter and with the text itself--and do desire, as a reader and a person, to become so wholly immersed in the powerful and intricate webs of a meaningful story. It seems to me that any reader's ability to so wholly engage with a book--and the intellectual community that shares your same deep love for the characters and the complexity of its stories--signals a beautiful kind of focus and care for something that you've been able to bring to life, if even in your own mind as a reader. I'm still trying to figure out what it is about me that has made me unable to engage with this text--or resistant to engage with it--and I think that thinking more closely through the ideas in your post may bring me closer to figuring that out.

    I'm really curious about what it is specifically about Harry Potter as a character (who seems to really come to life for so many people in incredible ways) that so many people seem to connect to. People seem able to bring him to life in such an intense way, in a way that makes me wonder if people have spent more time deepening their relationships to Harry Potter and trying to understand him than they have with some of the closest people in their life. You've articulated very eloquently the ways in which Rowling skillfully gives the story depth and richness, and she seems to have done it in a way some people's relationships to Harry Potter are even more 'real' and more 'authentic' real live relationships.

    Do you think this is true at all? (For others? For you?) If so, why is it? Is there something about the fact that Harry Potter is 'timeless,' and will not change? That once the seventh book is over, it's over, and Harry's perfections (and imperfections) won't have to be nagging at the readers? Or am I placing too much emphasis on Harry himself, and not enough on the intricacies of the story? Do you think that you will ever outgrow your deep love for Harry Potter?

    And finally, I love the idea that ‘completing’ the seventh book isn’t the end, but the beginning of a new thing – going back, exploring, reliving something with fresh eyes and new perspectives can give you added depth both on the text and on yourself. I have my own “Harry Potters,” for sure, but I’m even more intrigued now to find out why you put so much emphasis on yours. Thanks for sharing. - Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! One more question! What need(s) do you think Harry Potter (either as a character or as a set of complex stories) fulfills for you that is perhaps different from the needs it fulfills for other 'intellectual' lovers of Harry Potter? What is the deep need that you think it fills for so many people around the world - is it this idea of 'escape,' or is there also more to it? And why escape into Harry Potter over anything else? -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter is something I have always known is an obsession to some but never could fully understand. How has it affected your every day life? You say that you read Harry Potter when you could be doing other things, did HP ever conflict with social/school life? I have seen a common theme in all the HP blogs about the dislike for mainstream HP clothing line, rides, notebooks, etc. But why specifically does that bother you personally? It was very interesting that you ended it with "They never die." I think that's a very bold statement. People say forever is a long time, and to say that you will always have a place for HP is such a commitment. It will be fun to look back on your blog in a few years and see if you still have the same passion. Other than that, I enjoyed reading it. :)

    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are some of my author's questions:
    -Is it more important than ever in modern society to latch on to obsessions? Has the simplicity and routine-ness of our lives made it so we are more prone to obsessions? Do we yearn for sources of creativity, surprise, and passion more than other generations?
    -What makes the world J.K. Rowling has created so much more addictive than other fantasy realities? Is it because the world of Harry Potter has been so intricately and perfectly woven? Is it because the reality is at once so similar to our own but also so new? (There aren't aliens but than again flying frogs are a norm).

    ReplyDelete
  7. *flying chocolate frogs (Zoe B)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I just had another thought (which relates to Shelby's blog and comment): to what extent are our fantasy's, dreams, and obssesions a reality? Is the joy or knowledge or pain we get from them any more or less real than that which we get from "real life experiences"?
    Zoe B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zoe B -
    While not every fan goes as far as you do to really analyze and understand the story of HP, your negative view on the franchise seems to be what I have seen from most HP fans.
    I'm wondering if there are other books that you find yourself attached to like the HP series or is this your one real "obsession"? In the 2nd to last paragraph you mention how people can get so much out of "petty" things like movies and TV shows. Is there a movie or TV show that you connect with in a similar way to how you connect with the Harry Potter books, or do you believe that movies in general cannot compete with books because of how they already display an interpretation of a script for the viewer? (I know some people who love to analyze movies, while others don't find the point in the same way that there is with books.)
    I really, really loved the last few lines. When you tie your feelings toward HP back into the "wonder of our obsessions" in general, the whole thing is phrased really well and becomes even more relatable.
    - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zoe,
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading another devoted Harry Potter fanatic's take on the series. As you know, I share in your love for Harry Potter, and I feel the exact same way. I've spent countless hours reading, re-reading, exploring, and debating over the series, and I would never change that time I spent. It's a true joy to know that there are others out there who as obsessed as I am, and appreciate J.K. Rowling's work with such reverence and respect. But I'm wondering this: Did you ever wish Harry Potter was real? And do the franchise, etc not make this magical world that we love so much real and tangible?
    Personally, I love Harry Potter items because they make Harry Potter real for me.
    Oh, and don't worry, I cry everytime Dumbledore and Sirius die whenever I re-read the books :)
    -Sana

    ReplyDelete