Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gossip Girl: I want to be Blair Waldorf. by Jennifer

Gossip Girl: I want to be Blair Waldorf. by Jennifer

“Whoever said that money doesn’t buy happiness didn’t know where to shop.” – Gossip Girl



Gossip Girl is an addiction. An obsession. A want. A need. New York Magazine named them the “BEST. SHOW. EVER.”, according to the cover of their April 2008 issue. For those who have been living under rocks, Gossip Girl is both a series of books and television show about wealthy prep schoolers (later college kids) growing up in the Upper East Side, experiencing scandals, surrounding money, sex, drugs, relationships, normal teenage problems, everywhere they go.

I want to be Blair Waldorf. That is my goal in life. Sounds pretty stupid, huh? Blair, also known as Queen B, is a stubborn, brutal but secretly caring, preppy, fashionable character. She looks up to Audrey Hepburn very much and in one episode said that she was Audrey compared to Betty Davis. When staring in front of my mirror every morning I always think “What would Blair wear?” or when I go around shopping I always think “What would Blair say?” Also, all of my sophomore year, I wore Blair’s signature accessory, the headband, every…single…day. I even had a dream about hating NYU because she hates NYU. Isn’t that a little too far? There are so many bookmarks on my computer that helps me figure out Blair Waldorf-esque items to look out for when I go out shopping. Here’s the most recent one: Click here. Luckily for me, the British store, Miss Selfridge, is creating a Gossip Girl collection for the spring and summer 2010 season and is coming out soon in April.

No, not Leighton Meester. Blair Waldorf. I’m honestly not a huge fan of Leighton. Yes she’s pretty and she acts as my favorite character but she’s not Blair. Leighton is trying to be a singer now and I think she’s trying too hard to be out there in the celebrity world. If you watch her video, Somebody to Love, you’ll think she’s slutty. The video is horrible, the song had to grow on me for me to actually like it but regardless, I had to try to like the song. Also, Leighton Meester’s sense of fashion is not at all like Blair’s. Leighton likes more of a distressed look where Blair loves pristine structure in her clothing.

I’ve never read Gossip Girl and I’m told that the Gossip Girl Series are incredibly different from the television show, making me not want to read the books. Plus I wouldn’t think books would be the same. The characters are different. I can actually look at the fashion on my computer screen. And the incredibly good looking actors and actresses on the show. Watch the designer labels run across the screen.

I’ve always been interested in elite, wealthy prep schools ever since I started reading the Private Series by Kate Brian. Although my high school is incredibly different than Constance Billard, the idea of going to a prep school certainly made an impact on my decision to go to a private school. Another hook that drew me into the Gossip Girl world was that the fashion is just incredible. The costume designer, for the most part, actually doesn’t design the characters’ outfits and are bought. The costumes on the shows are usually brand name and a great website I use to find affordable “dups” (duplicates, copies).

Although Gossip Girl has its amazing taste in fashion and allows the obsessed the live vicariously through the characters, many people are against the show. People Magazine reports that America Ferrera, very well known from Ugly Betty and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, says that shows like Gossip Girl are showing women as b*tchy and venomous. Funny thing because America is good friends with Blake Lively (Serena Van der Woosen), both in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movies. CPE, from eveningsolace.tumblr.com, says that her reasoning for not liking the show is that the plot remains the same throughout the series. She was a big fan of season one but season two is just went downhill. I agree with what she says and yet I’m still obsessed with the show. The drama started for stupid reasons and for some reason, I continued watching. I also realized that the show is even worse now that most of the characters are in college. And yet I’m still watching it.

So I could’ve told you that I’m too obsessed with the show to tell you why I love it. I could lie to you and tell you that I think about it 24/7. But in reality, I don’t think about it 24/7 because my own personal style is very much influenced by the show. I can’t tell you how much my personality has changed from before I watched the show and to now. No I would not like to live a life in scandals (even though that might be fun sometimes). Maybe I’m shallow for loving Blair Waldorf for being the fashionable, headstrong (or b*tchy), wealthy girl that she is and for wanting that life style. Honestly, I don’t think the show is going to keep going after the fourth season, but I know that the show changed some of my personal tastes and I will carry that throughout my life.

XOXO,
Gossip Girl

P.S. Check out my personal blog.

9 comments:

  1. That's all I've got time for now.
    But until we meet again,
    xoxo
    gossip girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, my previous comment got messed up and didn't publish all I had written (it only published me signing off).

    But here's a list of the points I had made
    -WOW you really are obsessed with Blair!
    -I love how you make references to pop culture (i.e People Mag) to strengthen you point
    I like how you acknowledge the media's opinion/others' opinions on the show, but continue to defend your position.
    -I really appreciate the links to the websites! How authentic.
    -as A watcher as GG, i can totally see how you could be obsessed with Blair--as b**itchy and spoiled as she can be...she gets almost everything she wants, has a great boyfriend, unbelievable clothing...

    -One thing i'm curious about: how has GG changed you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, yeah... How has the show changed you? You have definitely not completely adapted their personalities, so how except for the fashion sense? I can definitely see why you are obssesed with Blair. You have a really convincing arguement, but are there any people out there that don't like the show? What would they argue is bad? You do a really good job showing other's opinions and your own. I like the overall piece though because it is so convincing. I kinda wanna watch it a bit(but not going to).
    -Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You prove your point, and subsequent obsession, quite well in this blog. You describe your own feelings of fashion and personality as trying to mirror Blair's but from your own description of her while deep down she may be a caring person, how deep down is that? Is she always, for lack of a better term, a stuck up bitch? Also as I don't follow the show and don't know what the plot or what it is about some background on it may be useful as well. Good outside references and examples in the links. Overall an interesting window into your life and the affect a show has on people.
    -Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something I think you did great was give the reader a very clear image of the show. I am sure a lot of people do not know any of this stuff but you made it very definitive. Your argument about loving the character and not the actress was great and was maybe my favorite part of the blog. You maybe could have gone into more depth about what you were like and how Gossip Girl really changed you. Sort of a before on after type thing. Another suggestion I have is maybe talk more about the other characters and why they dont appeal to you as much as Blair. Very compelling!

    Gus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man! looks like my post got erased!

    I can repeat a truncated version and will verbalize it in full tomorrow.

    -Thanks for a window into this world: Blair, fashion.
    -Helpful links. Would hav elike to see a clip from GG.
    -Does GG appeal to the college crowd as the fashion website suggests, or just the high school sophomores and juniors of the world.
    -Who else loves Blair? Is it wrong to love her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenni, I wasn't in your group but I found your blog very interesting because it seemed to connect to my blog. I don't know if you are into Harry Potter at all, but as I read your blog I realized how similar Blair Waldorf and Draco Malfoy are. They are both put on tough, confident, an somewhat unlikeable personas but at the same time have interior low self-confidence and struggle to be comfortable with themselves. They each have another, more interesting side to them that makes them characters that I can relate to (I absolutely love Blair Waldorf too). I don't know if this is the reason you love Blair so much, but I thought I would put it out there for something for you to think about.
    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  8. well just letting you know as u r obviously r aware BLAIR is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER and isnt hugely based on any one..i luurrrrvvvveeee gossip girl but seriously u r taking this way too far, just be yourself, and blair is also super uber expensive so it is nearly impossible to be like her, not even the woman that plays her is anything like her. i like to look for clothes that r like hers too but seriously Leighton Meester is cOOL (dont diss her) and yeah but GO GOSSIP GIRL FANS, great fun to read by the way

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anonymous comment,
    Yes she is a fictional character and how do you know she's not based on anyone? How does even matter if someone out there actually does exist? Have you gone anything like this show? Because I beg to differ?
    I actually wrote my CityTerm paper on the economic statuses of Manhattan prep schools and found out that some of these kids actually have these lives.
    I also didn't diss Leighton Meester. I just don't know her as well as I know Blair and I'm not interested to do so.
    Regardless, I'm glad you enjoyed my blog post.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete