Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Can you google "solutions to gender stereotypes"? by Zoe M.



I'm not going to lie, I laughed when I first saw this picture posted on a friend's Facebook. But a few moments soon after, I realized the problems with this image, and beyond that, what this image says about society at large.

Allow me to explain this photo before I dissect it:

When you start to type something into the Google Search Engine, Google suggests words to complete your search. This is a feature called Auto-Complete. It is meant to make the researching process faster, and minimize the chances of the person typing misspelling whatever they're searching for. The order of auto complete suggestions that pop up are according to the frequency of which they are searched. So if this is true, then why are such gender stereotypes so high on the list?

What does this say about the respect genders have for each other? How can we change it? Do people really feel this way or is it some kind of poorly thought out joke?

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Zoe M. It's Zoe B. Here are my thoughts/questions...
    1) WOW. This is surprising and really reiterates gender stereotypes in relationships. Men seem much less sensitive and emotionally attached. My fear is that by buying into the photo we are furthering the gender gap. Some questions I think we need to consider about relationships are...How are men insecure about relationships? How are men not taught how to act in relationships? What role do men's peers play in how they behave in a relationship?

    ReplyDelete