Monday, March 15, 2010

Marry a girl, a boy, I don't care, just do it! by Shelby

Arranged marriage is a matrimonial decision made by a party other than the bride and groom. This is most dominant throughout South Asia and the Middle East. Throughout our sex and gender classes it has been puzzling me that there can be two people in love, but they aren’t allowed to get married just anywhere. I understand this concept, although I very much disagree, and it has been undergoing a lot of decision-making in the past couple of years, but then I got to thinking. What about people whose culture believes in arranged marriages? What if they are gay or lesbian? This really interested me as to what happens. I read a few articles and one that I found was about how much of a disgrace it is to be unmarried. It stated that, “Singleness means you never grew up. It's the biggest failing of parenthood -- the incompleteness of the unmarried child.” I was really shocked, but also happy, with these results. Often, when I forget to suspend judgment, I think of immigrant families as extremely conservative. In fact, most say that they would rather have their children be, “Gay, but with children,” as one Chinese mans’ parent’s decided. Others, whose parents are not as supportive, decide to ‘marry for convenience.’ This is when a gay man marries a lesbian woman so that they can fulfill their parents’ expectations, but mutually have affairs with the preferred sex. As much as this is their way of being happy, how far will that go? Sneaking around, faking family dinners with a spouse you have no true connection with, and not being true to yourself. I’m not sure what’s worse, having to marry to fool your parents into thinking you’re the perfect child, or that if parent’s did approve, the choice to marry is very limited. On January 1, 2010 New Hampshire became the fifth state to allow gay marriage, along with Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Iowa. Still, why are there designated areas? Especially if it is an arranged marriage, is the church denying a culture? Arranged marriage’s original purpose was to wed two young adults so that they will live with wealth, eventual love (hopefully), and to pass down the authenticity of the culture. Now, it has become a little more complex. Today there is something called a mail-order bride. Typically a woman is sent overseas to the U.S. to fulfill their husband’s needs as the ‘housewife.’ Cooking, cleaning, bearing children. Why would women agree to this? Education, money, opportunity. It baffles me as to why parent’s agree to such things. Letting their child be gay simply to be married, not because they want them to be happy. Letting their child be sent away to marry a stranger just so that they will have a chance in America. So much is given up for culture. The situation about gays and lesbians marrying is the most intriguing to me. Everyday, gays struggle to receive equal rights to wed as any other couple in America, and here are these immigrants whose parent’s push them to be married whether it be to a man, a woman, both, so to say, whatever, as long as they’re married. Which is easier? Personally, I don’t there will ever be an easy way out.

4 comments:

  1. Shelby - I love how you've chosen to explore something that confuses you, and that you are leaning into your confusion by trying to suspend your judgment and explore alternative perspectives. I also love the hyperlinks you included - great reads, and so conveniently embedded within the text of your entry! (You'd think that hyperlinks were invented yesterday, the way I've been going on and on about how great they are... :P)

    Your blog post hits on a number of key premises that are at the heart of our cultural thinking about 'marriage' and 'love.' What are all the premises you can think of here? I'll start us off - people marry because they fall in love and stay in love. Two people can 'fall out of love," hence skyrocketing divorce rates.

    Here are some alternative premises raised by your post and the AlterNet article -marriage is deeply useful for two people because it exists as a utilitarian partnership. Two people can 'grow to love' one another. If you don't 'fall in love' with 'the one,' you can find someone to be your life partner with whom you can engage in a mutually supportive relationship. This idea of 'completeness' is so interesting to me - because there are definitely people who are 'married' - and thus assumed to be 'complete' - and probably feel more alone than some single people do because of the nature of their relationship.

    This leads me to think about the Greek words for love: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_words_for_love
    particularly as they help me to understand the distinction between eros - deep passionate burning romantic love, a more 'selfish' love - and agape - a more selfless, giving love, that may not be the same passionate romantic love that we see in the media, but is deeply rooted in something that might more closely resemble a true, equitable partnership.

    Hm....

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelby -

    Although I've thought about gay marriage before, I've never looked at it in relation to arranged marriages, so this blog was very interesting to read and an original idea.
    It really makes me wonder now if it is better to be accepted by your family for being gay, but be trapped in an arranged marriage, or not be accepted and have to hide your true self. Either way is a marriage you don't really believe in, so I feel like one would not feel much better than the other. I basically agree with you that they both seem to be traps, and cannot find an easy way out either.
    Great blog!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shelbs,
    Great post! You touch upon a very interesting topic that hits close to home for me. I know for a fact one of my uncles had an arranged marriage, but I'm almost certain more of my family members had arranged marriages as well. In my family the parents are super pick when searching for a bride/groom for their child, and homosexuality isn't an option. But this concept of parents accepting their child's homosexuality, but making sure they have an arranged marriage is new to me.
    I wonder how often marriages between a gay man and a lesbian woman occur?

    -Sana :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shelby! It's Zoe B. Here are my thoughts and questions.
    Having studied India and in particular the imbalance in sex ratio there this all this article really interested me! I cannot imagine being gay and being forced into an arranged heterosexual relationship...but than again don't some people choose to do this voluntarily? Often you here about men (it's usually men which is interesting too) who marry women because they cannot accept or fear others won't accept their gay identities...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete