Sunday, March 7, 2010

Marie Antoinette interpreted by Nick Witchey


Beauty is subjective; but Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette is without a doubt the most beautiful film made in the past decade. The aesthetic details in each scene of the movie fit seamlessly with the music, whether it’s classical or 80’s post-punk, creating an experience that can be described by no word other than sensory. The colours provide the foundation for the visual aspect of the film. The wedgewood blues, bright pinks, light yellows, and soft greys are the building blocks for the hats and costumes. The film is beautiful. That is all and that is enough.

Critics of the film disagree with this. They argue that the fact that the film’s scenes are aesthetically pleasing is not enough. They criticize its lack of historical grounding. They say that Sofia Coppola did not make a biographical film, but projected her own life onto Marie Antoinette. Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette is loosely based on Lady Antonia Fraser’s biography: “Marie Antoinette: A Journey,” but is by no means historically accurate. The Duchesse de Polignac, for example, was a discrete woman who was simply portrayed as a wild lesbian by the outraged masses at the time. The film portrays her as an untamed slut. And it is true that parallels can be drawn between Sofia Coppola’s life and the life of the film’s protagonist. Sofia Coppola was the youngest daughter in a supremely privileged family. Need I say more? Both of these arguments are completely valid. Where I take issue is when people begin to make value judgments about the movie based on these perceived problems. Yes, many of the historical details and behaviors of characters are inaccurate. So what? Did you not feel a rush when you saw bright flashes of beautiful colour? Did you not feel euphoric when the courtiers were running through the gardens drinking champagne and then collapsing at the foot of the Bassin d’Apollon to watch the sun rise over Versailles? Did you not think “God I wish that was me” when Marie Antoinette and some of the courtiers were sitting under a large willow tree after the fox hunt, dressed impeccably, having a picnic, and surrounded by a beautiful blue haze? Maybe you did not. But I did.

Why does it matter that the film was not historically accurate, or that the director may or may not have made the film semi-autobiographical. Isn’t the point of art to create something beautiful? (Keep in mind there are so many different ways to interpret the word beautiful). So maybe the film does not have a lot of dialogue. And maybe it does not have an engaging story line. Again, so what? If you want to enjoy the film put these things aside and let the colours take over.

7 comments:

  1. Having never seen the movie or not knowing much about Marie Antoinette it was very much a window for me. I find it intriguing how the colors spoke to you so much. I would like to see the film and see if I felt the same way, not knowing much about Marie Antoinette or director.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting that colors, such a small aspect of a movie (at least to me), affected you so much. I love the abstractions in your piece and they really make me think about how I pay attention to the movies I watch and love and why I like them so much. You do spend a lot of time though explaining what the critics think of the movie. I like it and its good to get the feel of the different points of view, but I want to see you expand a little more on why you love it so much. I know it's the colors, but what else? How do the colors make you feel? What makes you so attached to them? But next time I watch Marie Antoinette I definitely will keep a look out for the colors.
    Rachel M

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so beautifully written. The way your blog is written correlates with the beauty of the movie itself. I completely agree with you about the cinemetography of the film (I love this movie as well)....to an extent it is about the beauty and the artistic value of the film. But, i think its really great that you acknowledge other people's perspectives on the film. I think by doing that you allow your blog to be relatable to all people who read it.
    Good jobb!!!

    ~Rachel B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it really interesting that you discuss sensory details. I've never seen Marie Antoinette (sad, I know) but I feel as if I must watch it and experience the colors and mood in order to experience it. Your piece makes me want to do that! So, once again, movie date soon please. -Ngina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick, I know I'm not in your group but I couldn't resist commenting on your blog. The thing I find the most compelling about your writing is that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks of Marie Antoinette, what's important is what you think of it and how it makes you feel. I saw this piece as a window into how you think more than a window into the movie. It feel like this gives a lot of insight into what you consider beauty to be. What I also find interesting is you acknowledge the weaknesses of the movie but also show that they don't matter to you because you see the movie in an entirely different way.
    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick, nice work! This is a really honest portrait of how you feel about the movie, and it manages to also be a bit of a declamation of movie criticism (one which I just so happen to agree with). What is it that makes a movie great? Is it historical accuracy? Is it "great" acting, which itself seems a bit subjective? Is it good cinematography or direction? Ask 100 different people at any movie awards show, and you'll get 200 different answers, I'm sure. You show that great movies aren't about meeting the guidelines of a prescribed rubric, but about the specific effect that the movie has on its individual viewers. This is the reason why I will always love Mean Girls, not because the storyline is amazing (even though you have to admit it kind of is) or because it has Lindsay Lohan (this actually kind of works against it), but because it accurately reminds ME of my high school and how ridiculous it was. I love that you love Marie Antoinette, and that you love movies for your own reasons.

    john

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick,

    I'm impressed. Its not often that I want to go and watch a film that I've previously dismissed, and which is definitely not my kind of film, just from reading a review about it. 1st blog post? Really? Excellent...

    -nik

    ReplyDelete