Sunday, March 7, 2010

Marc Jacobs: Fashion Genuis

by Kathy


Marc Jacobs. At the sound of those two words anyone who knows anything about fashion’s ears perk up. This amazing designer is known around the world for his confident, unique collections. Every fashion week, Marc Jacobs seats are the most sought after of any show. As Fashion Week blog put it, Marc Jacobs is fashion week. Many styles have come from his runways and are reflected in clothes worn by the rich and famous. For the past few years since I’ve began to follow fashion I’ve bought the runway magazines specifically to see his collection. One of the things on my bucket list is to be in the audience of one his shows. It doesn’t have to be a front row seat- I’ll take the second row; the point is that I’m in the same atmosphere as this creative genius.

But what I wonder is where does this creative genius come from? He was born on April 9th in New York City and for college attended the Parsons New School for Design. His first job was working as a stock boy at Charivari, an avant-garde clothing boutique in New York City. A store I plan on visiting for this reason! In college he won the Perry Ellis Gold Thimble Award in 1984 and in the same year was also awarded the Chester Weinberg Gold Thimble Award and the Design Student of the Year Award. Winning these awards were only the beginning of a long and successful career. He’s currently 47 years old and works as creative director for Louis Vuitton as well as his own label, Marc Jacobs. Marc by Marc Jacobs, a more affordable ready-to-wear line is my obsession. There’s a boutique ten minutes from my house and it’s a monthly routine to check in and see what new.

Through his career Marc Jacobs has always done what he wants while sticking to a sophisticated yet self described grunge look. Year after year, season after season his collections never disappoint. His recent Fall ’10 collection shown in New York City was a display of his confidence. He kept to natural colors and more basic shapes. This collection shows how even doing something extreme is passé for Marc. He decides what he wants- one of the reasons why everyone loves him. What designer has the confidence to prohibit the entrance of any famous actress as he does? This past show he denied seats to names everyone knows in the entertainment industry because he feels Hollywood is lowering America’s credit as a fashion capital. He also starts his shows exactly on time, leaving the heavy weight Andres Leon Talley standing in the back.

Of all the clippings I’ve cut out from his creations never have I felt the urge to throw them away like some of the other high end labels. Versace and Gucci just don’t compare with their over sexualized outfits and hype on their label, for example. As Marc once said, “I'd like to believe that the women who wear my clothes are not dressing for other people, that they're wearing what they like and what suits them. It's not a status thing.” When I wear his clothes I feel his spirit and design in them. I’m transformed into a Marc Jacobs gal; someone with confidence who knows what she likes and isn’t afraid to wear shows with the heel as the base, a look from his Spring ’08 collection.

One of the best documentaries of all time follows Marc as he prepares for Louis Vuittons fashion show in Paris. Marc Jacobs & Louis Vuitton (2007) follows the over worked, under rested, raw Marc Jacobs as he dresses and redresses undernourished models for his colorful and innovative Paris show. When I watch I’m taken from droll study sessions to his crazy, chaotic, creative thinking process. There’s never a dull day in the world of Marc Jacobs which is just another reason why I love him.

Oh Marc Jacobs, where would fashion be without you?

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree--there's no debate that Marc Jacobs IS fashion right now.
    I loved your comment that "even doing something extreme is passé for Marc." It really speaks to his ability to make even the most mundane trends exciting and recognizable as "Marc."
    It was interesting to read his quote saying that his clothes aren't about the status, since Marc Jacob has become THE name and most people would buy an unattractive item from the designer simply to carry around the label. Do you think his clothes could stand independent of the label?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an interesting post for me to read, because I feel like such an outsider to this culture. I don't know exactly where to begin.

    Like the previous poster, I was drawn to the quote from Jacobs, "“I'd like to believe that the women who wear my clothes are not dressing for other people, that they're wearing what they like and what suits them. It's not a status thing.” There are a lot of interesting ideas in this quote it seems. Is Jacobs suggesting that he is able to design the clothes that allow women to express themselves% The clothes somehow act as foils, that allow the wearer to feel more themselves than otherwise% This seems like strange business, and one that is in some ways in opposition to creating a label named after himself. Would it make more sense to name his label after the people he is designing for%

    I am also curious if at this point in his career Jacobs gets credit simply for doing things differently. You write that his collections "never disappoint" But every show you are seeing is a "Marc Jacobs" show. Would these same collections be as exciting if they were from another designer% How can we know%

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very interested in your own relationship to Marc Jacobs' designs. I can relate to having clothing with a specific emotion or attitude attached to it, and feeling that when wearing the clothes. I wonder if you would still feel the same about the clothes if they were not attached to the Marc Jacobs label. Has there been any piece that deep down you didn't like, but waved it off because his name was attached?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Kathy,
    Hey. I do not know a thing about a fashion. After reading your article, I can't say I am enlightened into the fashioned world, but I now understand your attachment to the industry. Your descriptions of Marc explain why he is different from all the rest, and how when you wear his clothes you feel like "a Jacobs girl." I personally do not have any idea what being a Jacobs girl feels like, but you were able to give an ignorant reader like myself, a vivid idea. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Marc Jacobs is awesome! I really love his designs he has the greatest ideas that I saw! You are so cool Marc Jacobs, I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Marc Jacobs just has an inate view of what works in fashion. I came across this exclusive video interview on vogue.co.uk where he is in London for the launch of his new perfume, BANG.
    He's so witty and entertaining;
    http://www.vogue.co.uk/video/voguetv/player.aspx/exclusives/video,9705/

    ReplyDelete