Sunday, March 7, 2010

Harry Potter is Reality by Sana














Harry Potter has become a worldwide phenomena that has impacted people of all ages. Everyone has an opinion of harry potter, either good or bad, but it’s out there in the open. Fans all over the world battle out Gryffindor versus Slytherin, and Harry versus Voldemort debates. I share in this behavior because I too am obsessed with the Harry Potter series. Ever since I got the fourth Harry Potter book in the first grade, I’ve become attached to the series like none other. Once I pick up a Harry Potter book I can’t put it down, and I’ve read every book more than three times. Okay, so to be exact I’ve read the first one thirteen times, the second one eleven times, the third one ten times, the fourth one eight times, the fifth one six times, the sixth one four times, and the seventh one twice. As the series progressed I read each new installment less and less, but only because of the lack of free time in my life. If I ever got the chance to stop time, and do nothing, I would read Harry Potter. Growing up I would read, read, and then re-read the series as many times as I could for fun. Harry Potter was my escape.

I grew up in a family restaurant for almost eight years and because of that I was forced to mature quickly at an early age. I helped my parents in our ice cream and fast food restaurant seven days a week by running the cash register. Eventually, as I got older, my abilities in the restaurant increased and I was soon able to run the place all by myself if I had to. But thank god I never had to. My routine was fixed every day: school, restaurant, then home; because of that I never had a real childhood. When all my friends were out with their families on weekends, or hanging around at the park, I was working in the restaurant. And when business was slow, I would go in the back and do homework. Once Harry Potter entered my life, it consumed my childhood. My every waking and breathing moment was absorbed in Harry Potter. I still remember sitting behind the register with my Harry Potter book in hand, and getting annoyed when customers would walk in because they kept me from finding out if Gryffindor won the Quidditch match.

I suppose my fascination for Harry Potter is because it let me enter a world completely different from my own. Whenever I read Harry Potter, I would completely lose myself in the magical world, and block out what went on in real life. Everyone knew that once I had a Harry Potter book in hand, I literally could not hear what was going on around me because I would absorb myself so deeply into my magical Harry Potter world. Harry, Ron and Hermione’s adventures were all I ever wanted to participate in, and I always wished I was Hermione. In fact I was certain that I was her. I just as intelligent as Hermione, and all I needed was the curly hair, and two guy friends to go on expeditions with. But more than anything, I wanted magic to be real. I still remember turning eleven, and waiting for my owl of acceptance to Hogwarts. I still don’t think I’ve come to terms with not receiving my acceptance; they probably haven’t realized that I can do magic and I’m stuck in a world full of muggles.

I would dream of flying on a broomstick, and I always wanted a wand. Then one day, my dreams became reality. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who desired for the wizarding world to be real and Harry Potter merchandise began to be sold. It all started with Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, and Barnes and Nobles was the only place to acquire my piece of magic reality. Soon, the Harry Potter merchandise industry boomed and expanded. Now everything Harry Potter was real and sold to the public. Harry Potter t-shirts, watches, bags, etc. I was so excited and determined to acquire as much Harry Potter gear as I could, that I broke my “Anti-Hot Topic Pact.” Hot Topic, in my opinion, is one of the most emo stores in existence, and I vowed to never buy anything from there because I risked conforming to the rocker style. Unfortunately, Hot Topic was the only store selling legit Harry Potter gear so ended up spending more money there in one shot than my usual shopping heaven, Forever 21.


To add to the excitement, replicas of props from the movies and objects from the book were beginning to be sold too. Brooms, chocolate frogs, wands, Death Eater masks, Hogwarts uniforms, robes, quidditch gear, the Goblet of Fire, the Sorcerer’s Stone, Professor Trelawny’s crystal ball, and so much more. The only thing missing is the real magic but that’s what the books are for. I love every aspect of the Harry Potter franchise because it makes it real and tangible to me. All the Harry Potter items make my fairy tale world of magic worthwhile. I’ve always wanted to be part of that world and Harry Potter merchandise makes it possible for me. With Hermione’s wand, I can finally perform all of the spells which I have memorized instead of using my finger (which has proved to be useless on more than one occasion). With a cauldron, I can brew a perfect Draught of Living Death by using the methods and techniques in Severus Snape’s old potions book. And who doesn’t want to eat a chocolate frog and collect the cards to compile into a collection and then tape them to a wall like Ron Weasley. Every time I happen upon a new Harry Potter item, I drool all over it and demand that it be mine. And now that the Harry Potter theme park opens in Universal Studios this Spring, I plan on buying absolutely everything and hoarding it into my harry potter shrine!






5 comments:

  1. Hello Sana!
    Here are some questions/thoughts on your blog:
    -Why do you say "Harry Potter WAS my escape"? Is this just a mistake? Is it subconscious? As you've gotten older have societal expectations made you give up Harry Potter? Or have you changed so that it offers you less then it once did?--Having read the blog I'm guessing the answer is definitely NO--you still love it and need it!
    -Why do you resonate most with Hermione? (BTW I totally get this. If I could be one thing when I grow up it would be Hermione--and I think I'm well on my way :D! )
    -Out of curiosity, did you switch schools at age 11? Or did you change anything in your life? Age 11 is when I started at Winsor and I remember when I was touring thinking, "Maybe this will be like the American version of Hogwarts."
    -Does the franchise ever anger you because you find there are so many less dedicated fans? Why or why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sana,

    Something that your post did uniquely was help to enlighten me as to WHY people obsess with Harry Potter. From previous blog posts I have begun to somewhat with the obsession itself, as I too have obsessions *cough*all american rejects* cough*, but I still didn't quite understand the root of the HP obsession itself.

    I liked the line: "The only thing missing is the real magic but that’s what the books are for."

    This stood out especially because I get completely engulfed in books as well. I am a huge fan of the Twilight series (don't judge, all obsessions are relative), and know what it's like to be completely lost in a world totally different from your own. The idea of not having to sleep, to never endure exhaustion and have the time to drink up as much knowledge as possible, is as appealing to me as the ability to conjure potions and and cast spells is to you.

    The primary aspect of our interests that separates us, is that I am not a fan of the Twilight movies or merchandise. I personally think the movies suck, and the merchandise, the Robert Pattinson obsession, and the horrible cinematography, production and depiction of the books cinematically, undermine the book series and story itself.

    Other than that, your HP is to my Twilight as far as loving of the fictional world goes.

    -Zoe M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sana,
    I have read so many of the HP blogs, and yours really set it apart from them. It shows that you truly have grown up with the HP characters. I love the true emotion you put into it, such as when you express the aggravation you felt when a customer would come in and interrupt your reading. I also thought it was interesting that you, unlike some of the other HP fans, enjoyed, even praised, the nik naks that Warner Bros came out with. I would like you to maybe think of these questions though:
    -Did you read on your own, or did someone read to you? I havent read them so I don't know how difficult/easy of a read they are, and you said you started in first grade.
    -Has HP ever given you a sanctuary, or something you can turn to if you're in a bad mood, or is it just a book you read in free time?
    -Did reading the book so young and so often have any relation to your social life? Did your friends read it also, or was it something that set you apart from them?

    Other than that, fun to read. Fun blogging!

    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sana -

    I liked this blog a lot because of how instead of just saying "I love Harry Potter" like so many other fans, you looked at when HP has affected you personally, and how it has been more than a book for you, acting as an escape. I can definitely understand feeling that connection with something and it brought me as the reader to another level of understanding your need to write about HP.
    It's interesting that you love the franchise so much since I know many HP fans who do not. Does the merchandise match up with how you pictured it before it was made? Do you ever feel like it's been a disappointment and taken away some of the imaginative ideas you might have had while reading?
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sana,

    Yes! I love that I'm being introduced to multiple types and flavors of Harry Potter love through reading these posts!

    I'm really intrigued by this idea that HP merchandise enables fans like you to gain access to an imaginary world that is otherwise not physically accessible. It's an entry in, and it's inclusive--not exclusive--in this way, because those who can afford the merchandise can participate in it. This is a really interesting contrast against Zoe B's point - that the merchandising of HP products almost 'dilutes the purity' of the integrity of the story. It seems though, that even though HP served/serves as an escape for both of you in different ways, that the NATURE of the escape and the relationship is totally different. How would you characterize this difference? What are the similarities between these two perspectives, even though one of you is morally opposed to the existence of so much HP merchandise, and the other so excited by it?

    I also want to echo Zoe B's question: Why Hermione? In what ways are you as Sana similar to her? What specifically about her, what she has, and what she represents is appealing to you? It also seems like Hermione as a character has access to a lottttaaaa things, due to magic, power, intelligence, race? She's a pretty powerful woman. I'm curious to know more about the particulars of her character.

    Can't wait to discuss this tomorrow! -Steph

    ReplyDelete