Saturday, March 6, 2010

"The O.C." -Leah

Every day after school or sports practices I have a need to sit on my couch to watch at least one episode of a tv show. For some reason, not every show does it for me. “Gilmore Girls,” “Gossip Girl,” “The Office,” and “SNL” are all great shows that I love to watch, but for some reason “The O.C.” is my favorite show to just vegetate to. It has the perfect balance between drama and humor, teenagers and adults, music and pop-culture. And one more thing, it’s awesome.

Although “The O.C” ended in 2007, I re-watch the episodes over and over again on my laptop almost every day. I love the show for many reasons, and my main question is why I need it as part of my day. On days when I don’t watch “The O.C.” I feel more productive and useful but also more stressed. While I sit on my couch for around forty-two to forty-four minutes watching an episode of “The O.C.” I can reflect on how great my life is because my mom isn’t in rehab and my brother isn’t in jail. Or, I can reflect on how my life is awful because Seth Cohen hasn’t been obsessed with me since first grade instead of Summer Roberts. Either way, there’s a lot of reflection going on. Then again, sometimes there isn’t any reflection at all; just much needed mind numbing relief. And that’s great too.

It all started during cross-country season. I needed to ice my legs for thirty minutes after I got back from practice and tv always distracted my from the numbing pain that the ice produced. Shows on MTV just didn’t hold my interest well enough and I had already watched all the episodes of “Gilmore Girls” a thousand times. “The O.C.” was the best distraction. While the ice numbed my legs, my mind was also numbed by the soothing views of Orange County, CA and Adam Brody skateboarding across the screen. At first it was just a mind numbing experience that was comforting. Once I got more in to it, I began to reflect on my life compared to the characters on the show. I really wouldn’t want to be friends with any of them, but I still find their lives compelling and I love the drama they create.

My need for “The O.C.” comes from a need for a break from my life to revel in someone else’s. It’s the purest and most accessible form of escape I can imagine with the click of a button. And it works too. But once the episode is over and the credits start rolling to that awful “it is what it is” music, I have to go do my homework and I’m forced back in to my own life. I hate the moment when the credits start rolling. The credits mean that the show is ending but my homework, or whatever other obligation, has just begun. Bummer. I have to get off of the couch and go do something productive.

Some websites about “The O.C.” are devoted to the music from the show, which is really good (http://www.theocshow.com/, http://www.musicfromtheoc.com/ ). These websites are my favorite because they’re not about the actors; they’re about the show and the great music on the show.

While looking at other websites devoted to “The O.C.” I realize that my need for the show is very different from that of other people. On these websites, the writers discuss and analyze the actors, not the show. I think this is pretty typical because I’m not sure what else bloggers could say about the show because it’s over. But they’re not moving on, and neither am I. Granted the show ended years ago and the websites need to write about something somehow related to the show, it makes me feel pretty normal by comparison because I don’t obsess about the actors on the show and what necklace Mischa Barton wore yesterday (http://www.theoconline.com/index.php, http://theocseries.blogspot.com/ ). I just love the show.

5 comments:

  1. I think it was important to recognize that while some of your obsessions comes from reflecting and identifying with the show, much of it is purely for enjoyment. TV can be such a great escape from real life, which is ironic since the drama of the OC is so high maintenance. Your comments about the music and the credits were so easy to identify with. I knew exactly what you were talking about when you called the song “it is what it is” music. But if the ending leaves us feeling worse than before, why do you think we keep watching?
    --Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write a lot about how this show is an escape from, or a break from your normal life. But you listen to the same bands as Seth, Ryan and Summer, and are the same age as them. Are there any parallels in your experience%

    I have to disagree with part of this. You write, "I really wouldn’t want to be friends with any of them." When I watch that show I want to be more than friends: I want to be part of the Cohen family. Sure, there are some problems- they can't have a party without somebody falling in the pool- but they seem to get along so easily! For me, the chemistry of the Cohen family is what separates this show from the rest of the "Rich People Doing Stuff" dramas on television- And I think it starts with Sandy. When he would have to go surfing to clear his mind, I would also get concerned! When he took a stand, I could be confident it was the right one. He was pretty infallible! (I think in the fourth season there was some story line where he was maybe having an affair, but it felt totally incongruous!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to your tendency to watch television as an escape from everyday life. The difference I have found between your experience and my own is that you say you like to take comfort that your life is less complicated than theirs. When I'm watching TV, I tend to just try to forget about its significance to my life and just enjoy time without thinking. I understand the feeling you mention when the credits role and the dread of returning to everyday life. In some ways I feel like these two ideas are in conflict. I cannot reflect on my shows while I watch them and would be interested to hear about your experience with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never watched an episode of the O.C. but through your blog it definatly intrigues me- why is someones mom in jail and who has the drug issues? I like how you relate this show to your life which adds to the attractiveness of the show for you. When I watch shows I tend to just forget about myself and am fully engrossed in the lives of the people I'm watching. You mention episodes that you like the music in so is that another element that appealed to your interests compared to the background music of other shows? Music has the ability to add to something or take away from something so I'm assuming for you it adds something on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah,
    I'm not an O.C. fan but your blog helped me realize why so many people like it. It's interesting the relationship you have with the show, and how that developed from having to ice your leg, to needing it to destress. I like how it is a form of escape for you, it seems to be a utopia that never ceases to intrigue you. Your writing style in this does a good job of mixing the somewhat disapointing reality of having to ice your leg, and the happy escape from reality that this TV show offers you.

    ReplyDelete