Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jeff Buckley by Rebecca



There is a certain fascination I have with Jeff Buckley that many people don’t seem to understand. I remember in the Summer of 2008 when I listened to his first and only studio album, Grace, on repeat more or less everyday. When friends finally inquired as to what I was listening to I would play my then favorite song by him (also titled Grace) and usually get a skeptical look as they listened to his free and passionate vocals singing lyrics such as “there’s a moon asking to stay, long enough for the clouds to fly me away, well it’s my time coming, I’m not afraid to die.” What must have seemed eerily morbid to them spoke to me, not because I related to every word he was saying, but rather because every time the song’s original guitar riff came back in and Buckley added more intensity to his voice, I was lost in a trance just trying to comprehend everything I was listening to. This was not the same as most popular music I was used to hearing. Even the pieces on the album that were covers, rather than his original compositions, had an incredibly original feel to them as he used his own interpretations to create new songs such as his cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” what is almost definitely his most well-known recording today.

I absolutely love Buckley’s version of “Hallelujah,” but there is something about that being his most popular recording that bothers me to no end. It is unbelievable to me that so few people would find a connection with Buckley such as the one I feel. Buckley’s lyrics have a way of telling a very personal, specific story without giving too much away, leaving room for interpretation. Rather than sending a stereotypical, simplified message through a love song as many artists do, relying on the same old metaphors and sweet messages, Buckley’s version of a love song (specifically his song Lover, You Should’ve Come Over) uses unconventional metaphors such as “all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter” and messages that, while many people can relate to them, may come from the complex feelings in love that are not often represented correctly in love songs such as “too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run.” There is a certain relatable quality to his concepts, so that while they are very personal to his story, the listener can understand his thoughts through his original way of describing them. Many of his lyrics standing alone could easily be poetry, but it is the incredible feeling he puts into his words that give them so much importance. While the instrumental themes in his songs have obviously been composed and discussed ahead of time, there is always something about Buckley’s vocals that sounds to me like he is letting them go wherever the music carries them, fairly often not sticking to just a specific melody, but also letting his voice change pitch and tone as he feels the piece more and more. I hear, both in his writing and performing, him unraveling the meaning behind each song, sometimes adding one complicated layer after another so that devoted fans can still find something new and interesting about his recordings no matter how often they put Grace on repeat.

I hope that my writing can somehow inspire others to go out and listen to some of Jeff Buckley’s original songs rather than just claiming to know him because of hearing “Hallelujah” a couple of times. In reality Buckley was much more influential than just in that song, as artists such as Rufus Wainwright and PJ Harvey were inspired to pay tribute to him in their own recordings after his death in 1997. He has been the subject of several documentaries, specifically Amazing Grace: Jeff Buckley which screened at 25 film festivals and won multiple awards. As he is someone so influential in the arts world, it is interesting and disappointing to me that nearly every time I mentioned my decision to blog about Buckley the response I received was something along the lines of “Who?” I feel that while it’s possible the reason I can’t seem to find many others who understand him this way today is because his death was over 10 years ago, that argument doesn’t seem to work very well when thinking about how many musicians and artists live on, or are even more famous, after they die.

When it comes down to it, my goal in expanding Jeff's following isn't for my benefit at all - I will still enjoy his music whether or not any of you listen to one song. It is simply my way of honoring him. When asked how he wanted to be remembered Jeff Buckley said "I don't really need to be remembered - I hope the music's remembered," and for that, I hope it is too.


5 comments:

  1. Hello Rebecca!
    Here are some questions/thoughts about the blog:
    -When you talk about why Buckley's lyrics are not so morbid to you, are you saying that the tone/sound/music isn't morbid (you talk about a guitar riff)? Or are you saying that you focus too much on finding the meaning/interpreting the lyrics for them to be morbid (you're kind of distracted)?
    -Why is the fact that Bucklye's lyrics are open for interpretations so important to you? Do you discover parts of yourself by making meaning of his lyrics?
    -Why do you want Buckley to be more well-known? Often people take pride in being an original or sole fan. What does the fact that you want to "share" say about you and your relationship with Buckley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    Though I've only heard Jeff Buckley twice, and he's not exactly what I'd call "my cup of tea", I can understand your obsession with him. (See AAR post)

    Music is a huge part of my life. It is usually integrated in all of my activities somehow. I'm intrigued by how Jeff seems to speak to all aspects of your life the way that music overall does for me.

    I have heard "hallelujah" and some unnamed song by Jeff Buckley, but it seems as though he may be an artist worth spending some time with to see if I genuinely dislike his music or if there was just a bad first impression. He may in fact be like the finer flavors of life: an acquired taste.

    -Zoe M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While reading your blog, I was listening to some of Grace and the instrumental beginning of Hallelujah, and it was a great way to connect with your piece. I loved it, really. I am always fascinated and interested in new artists. Not specifically up-and-coming singers, but the great ones that I have overlooked. You are right about Hallelujah, it was the only thing I knew him by. That is also something I connected with, I get frustrated by fans who relate to artists solely on their more popular songs. I really enjoyed reading this, but I want to pose some questions. Clearly his music has a great affect on you, but I want to see more specific times in your life where it has really helped you get through a situation. Other than adding more "you" in it. It's extremely informative, which I like a lot, but I do wish there was more of what you personally feel when you listen to Grace, or any song for that matter. Great job, loved it.

    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rebecca,
    So after reading your blog, I listened to Hallelujah and everything you wrote about just came alive for me. While reading, I couldn't exactly understand where you were coming from, but after listening to his music I must say, you have captured his essence perfectly.
    Personally, I'm guilty of listening to only mainstream music, and I'm trying to break away from that. Yes, mainstream music is great, but I feel like it's important for me to branch out and see what else is going on in the wide music world, and I'm sure I'll find stuff I like. Jeff Buckley is definitely only list to check out now!!
    Good Work!
    -Sana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca,

    I'm glad to have read your post, particularly as one of those people who knows Jeff Buckley mostly for his rendition of Hallelujah. I hadn't known about the songwriter/composerly side of him, and appreciative of you for introducing me to songs like Grace. I will definitely listen to his other stuff with a keener ear next time around.

    On the surface, it makes a lot of sense that you're a fierce advocate for Jeff Buckley, and want others to know of his talent, not just as a guitarist and vocalist, but also as a composer and songwriter. There's an originality that you argue he possesses and is capable of (e.g., that his representations of love in love songs are 'correct' or more accurate than others'?) - perhaps you see a 'purity' in how he sees, perceives, and articulates emotions because you feel such an intense emotional connection to him through the way in which he performs, plays, sings.

    Do you also place greater value (or a different value?) on the ability to create and compose, over just being able to interpret and perform?

    I'm intrigued by this idea that he's 'unraveling the meaning' behind the words of his songs. It's an interesting way to portray the relationship between a songwriter (or just singer in some cases, for the covers he does?) and the words that s/he chooses and sings. And the way in which you describe his vocals--because I know him and am familiar with some of his music--resonates with me too. There's a humility, vulnerability, and sensitivity to the timbre of his voice, I think. I'm listening to this live version of hallelujah that I've never heard before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4 and it's almost like being held. Even though you don't like the fact that it's his most popular song (and does that have anything to do with having to 'share' him with others? or is it connected to the idea that maybe that your deep relationship to him and his music is unique to you, and that others could never really emulate or understand it?

    Thanks for sharing. I love that I've gotten to listen to so many different kinds of music tonight! -Steph

    ReplyDelete