Monday, March 15, 2010

How about a pixie cut? by Leah

When I was little, I was subjected to a serious psychological trauma: terminally short hair. It was a seriously bad bowl cut that my mom just loved. I’m not sure if she thought it was cute or if she just liked it because it meant that she wouldn’t have to brush it out all the time. Well, my mom does have short hair, so maybe she just wanted me to be more like her. Either way, I always had very short hair as a small child. I didn’t really care that much, except when people thought that I was a boy. That bothered me. So, the only thing that I could really do about it was wear dresses all the time. So, that’s what I did. But sometimes when I was wearing leggings people still thought I was a boy. It was a psychological trauma that I still have trouble forgiving my mom for sometimes.

And it lasted for a while. I didn’t have control over my hair until around age seven, when I decided that it was time to grow out my hair. The only problem was that my hair didn’t seem to grow. Even to this day it does not grow very fast at all. But back then I struggled to grow out my tragic bowl cut in to long, luscious tresses. It never happened. Whenever my hair looked “bad,” my mom would take me to get it cut again and again. I think it’s because she loved that little girl who didn’t seem to care what her hair looked like. My mom hoped I would never care what I looked like because she drilled the old cliché into my head tirelessly- “it doesn’t matter what you look like on the outside because all that matters is what’s on the inside.” In my experience, if you care what you look like on the inside then it makes sense to care what you look like on the outside. I’m still trying to grow my hair out.

Apart from people thinking I was a boy when I was a small child, this situation may not seem particularly significant. However, it has done a lot to my view of other women who choose to cut their hair short. I never made the choice to cut my hair short, but some women do. Models like Agyness Deyn (http://www.topnews.in/files/images/Agyness-Deyn6_1.jpg) and musical artists like Rihanna (https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh4APiry-hcWa_xWBMxZ43TVXoqhVNW8jZNc10A_95cgibqsVQbnqsw5WPyLg5QQ9aTJb3Znoask5nh1Qg0GJHzXtNVUqoidbfRe6vQVx_Mp8c0M100YEXy8pCMXW7cjHj7lIM1g1GBdrRb/s400/Rihanna+Short+Hair+-+Pixie+Cut.jpg) choose to cut their hair in pixie cuts. I really try to understand the appeal of this. First, I suppose it’s very low maintenance. No endless blow-drying and straightening or even bad hair days. That’s really the only appeal that I see.

I really do wish that I could look good in a pixie cut. There’s a fine line though between those women who can still look intensely feminine with a pixie cut and those who end up looking like boys. There’s something very powerful to me about being a woman who looks fabulous with short hair. It’s brave, clever, edgy, and beautiful. I wish that I could look chic and feminine in a pixie cut, but the past has taught me that, in fact, I just look like a boy. I’m scared to look like a boy again.

To further explore the experience of beautiful and edgy women with short hair, read “The Garden of Eden” by Ernest Hemingway.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing all of this Leah. My sister had short hair, and it created lots of tension.

    This posting creates a bunch of interesting questions for me. Most centrally, at what age should children be allowed to own, or control their own gender%

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had short hair for a period of time after my brother cut off my ponytail and it was not fun to be thought of as a boy. As I read the end I was wondering how you thought short hair made people look sophisticated? I also agree with this idea but am not quite sure why because some people do see it as masculine.
    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that fascinates me about short hair, which I agree looks powerful and beautiful on many women, is that men often find it unattractive. Is this because of the visual effect or are they actually threatened by their partner's potential to seem as dominant in the relationship as they are? Either way, it definitely takes courage for a girl to have short hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a period of unfortunately short hair. I cut my own hair once and had to get a bowl cut type thing too. Why are you afraid to look like a boy again? Can't androgyny be a cool look sometimes? Is it really a fear of looking like a boy or a fear of an unflattering haircut? Is it unflattering only because it associated you with masculinity?
    -maura

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really interesting post. Thank you for sharing! I'm considering cutting my long hair super short. My hair is fine, and I struggle to do anything with it so it always ends up in a bun on top of my head. I figured, if I'm going to have long hair just to keep it rolled up uselessly I might as well cut it and look fierce. There's a lot of power in looking different.

    ReplyDelete